pc will not boot no post screen unresponsive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcrampage, Dec 24, 2010.

1. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

hello all i do hope you can help.
    i had been on my desktop pc for several hours before placing it in hibernation mode.
    I left to do some shopping, Upon my return and to much horror i discovered my pc was back on, the screen was black, I restarted it,

The fans and temp speed display on my case lite, My rom drive led flickered, As normal as well, but that was all. No post screen or beep code.

I might have done this to myself via amd overdrive. I made some slight adjustments to the ram voltage. but just slight ones. is my main board toast?

what things should i try before wasting alot of money needlessly ? I suppose the only free option is to reset bios via the battery yes?

system

OS windows 7 64bit home

CPU amd phenom II x3 710 2.6ghz

PSU rosewill 630watt

RAM ocz 8500 1000mhz 4 gig

MAINBOARD asrock 790gx 128mb

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have been playing with voltages, then resetting the bios would be the best first option to try

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Be sure to unplug the PC first and leave the battery out for at least one minute before replacing it.

Although you likely already knew this, I'm only adding it in case any novices refer to this thread for help on a similar issue.

Hope resetting the BIOS solves the problem. Have a great Holiday. :)

4. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

hi...i have a bios screen but it seems like my usb keyboard is disabled... it won't go passed the windows resume load screen...i can't seem to find a way to enable it. at this point i am desperate for answers. so come on guys lets make a christmas miracle happen he he

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    See if this may help. Remove the power cord from the computer or outlet. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the power cord back in and press the power button. This drains the capacitors. Good Luck

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If tgell's idea doesn't work (and the board has old-style round PS2 keyboard and mouse connections), see if you have an older PS2 keyboard and mouse gathering dust somewhere. If not, ask a friend if you can borrow their PS2 keyboard and mouse for a few minutes or do a temporary keyboard/mouse swap.

Hook the PS2 keyboard and mouse up, restart the PC and go into the BIOS setup. Be sure USB keyboard and mouse support are enabled if this option is listed on any of the setup screens. This has worked for me in the past.

Final note: Do NOT use a USB to PS2 adapter ("cheater") plug when attempting this; it doesn't usually work.

Hope one of these two tips provides the Christmas miracle you're looking for. :)

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

ahave you got a reference to usb legacy support in the bios- enable it
    If all else fails, try setting to failsafe defaults in the bios, on startup (often f9)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds