Want Advice On Virus/Malware/Spyware/ Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

What Virus/Malware/Spyware/Repair or Enhance Programs should I be running?
    Any of these not necessary? Which ones should I keep or what should I add?
    Here is what I have now. All the free versions and I keep them updated.
    Tnanks!
    Windows 7
    Zone Alarm
    AVG 10.0.1392
    Malwarebyte Anti Malware
    Super AntiSpyware
    Advanced System Care 4
    Super Defrag 2
    Spyware Blaster
    CCleaner
    IObit malware Fighter
    Windows Defender

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks. I had read it before but since the date on it is 10-10-04 I wondered if there was changes since then.

4. plodr

Although it was first written in 2004, it is updated regularly. For example, AVG used to be recommended, it is no longer listed.
    Things are added as they get better and others are removed as they get worse.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

OK Thanks. Wondering why AVG is no longer recommended? I have used it on three computers not had problems with it so far. But always interested in knowing what might be better. As you can see I mostly use the free programs I can download from Major Geeks.
    I know I only need one Anti Virus program but if I swith to Microsoft Security Essentials it looks like I don't need some of the other programs like antispyware is that correct?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. plodr

I run MS Security Essentials, malwarebytes and SpywareBlaster (passive) on my Win 7 computer.

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

OK if I switch to MS Security Essentials and keep Malwarebytes and SpywareBlaster is that all I need?

After reading on the Microsoft Security Essentials Forum it left me with questions. I hesitate because I had a bad experience a couple of years back with advice from Microsoft Support and a WinXP reinstall. Following their advice the reinstall failed. Then they just left me hanging. Had to come here to Major Geeks to get my PC straighten up and back running right. I was very thankful for the help I got here.

I now have a Win7 PC but still use the WinXP for some things. So I am asking for advice for both these PCs.

Should Windows Defender be disabled on Win7 if I install MS Security Essentials?
    They say Malwarebytes should be uninstalled(is this only the paid version?)
    What about a Zone Alarm Firewall they say uninstall that too?

Thanks again for the help!

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC’s real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.
    Microsoft Security Essentials should disable Windows Defender on Vista and Windows 7 and uninstall it from XP. In some cases, this does not happen automatically.
    The paid version offers active protection (just like MSE). And you don't want two of these programs running at the same time. (They can and often will conflict with each-other)
    The free version is fine as it is strictly a malware removal tool (offers no real-time protection).
    The ZA Firewall will not interfere with MSE. Alternatively, you can just stick with the Windows 7 firewall.

9. Anon-9aee479f8f

Ok Thanks. Just trying to decide what would be best or easiest for me to run.

10. plodr

This is wrong. I have MS Security Essentials and paid Malwarebytes running on my Windows 7 laptop with NO PROBLEMS.

Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus. On my other computers I have paid MBAM and AntiVir co-existing peacefully.

11. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks for the replies.
    Installed MS Essentials. Uninstalled AVG.
    Have Malwarebytes(free), SpywareBlaster, Iobit Malware Fighter, Advanced SystemCare 4, CCleaner, and SuperAntiSpyware(free).
    Are these compatible?
    Still wondering about ZoneAlarm or Windows Firewall. Opinions on which is better?

12. plodr

I let windows do firewall duty on an XP and win 7. All other computers run a very old version of just ZA firewall. I haven't had a problem with the computers running windows firewall.

13. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

I retract my above statement. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. :-o

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

So are the other spyware and malware programs all the freeware version compatible with MS Essentials?

15. plodr

That I can't answer becaue I have no experience running other combinations. I can only say with certainty that Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials will work together with no problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds