what kind of ram should di buy??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oddray, Aug 15, 2005.

1. oddray

oddray Private E-2

the ram i am going to buy is around the 100 range. im also getting a gig of it. first off should i get corsair or kingston??
    specs
    athlon 64 3200+ 2.00
    saphfire ati x850 xt
    i think i have a 300w power supplly but im not sure.
    ram right now is hinx 512 400mhz i think. 3200. ddr sdram
    i bought some ram that didn't fit now im not sure what kind of ram would be good to play battlefield 2 and half life with full settings.
    plz reply to this thread

2. Rage2K

Rage2K Private E-2

I have corsair and am pleased with it. What kind of motherboard do you have? Also you should get a bigger power supply than 300w if that's how big it really is... just an opinion.

3. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

I would go with the Corsair. I have been pleased with their RAM.

4. Icesurfer

Icesurfer Private E-2

I use OCZ RAM. It's a fairly new company, I think, but highly acclaimed, and I've never had any problems. You might check it out if you want a couple of brands to choose from, though Corsair is a great company, too.

5. bluenick

bluenick Private E-2

i wud definitely go for corsair, i would also suggest at least 450w power supply, make sure it is atx 2.0 compliant, anyone knows how to discover what latency your ram is? on corsair site it is not specified for my particular model (just described as twinx low latency)

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I've always bought thru Crucial. Quick and often free shipping. You can pick your system or let their "memory configurator" scan your system for the best match.

http://www.crucial.com/

7. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

Yeah, I would say go with Crucial or Corsair.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

corsair xms twinx has latencies of 2-3-3-6 and the twinx xl has latencies of 2-2-2-5 :)

I agree with bluenick,wouldnt even turn your computer on again without changing that 300w psu,the 850 is power hungry I'm suprised you havnt had problems before

The memory you say is around $100,it depends how much you want to spend for performance,lower the latencies the better on an a64 system,I have corsair xms twinx it overclocks to about 230mhz at cas 3,the xl series would probably do that at cas 2 :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds