Realtek Audio. No sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by Discorde, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Hello.

I have not had sound since a windows update a few months ago. I finally stumbled onto majorgeeks and was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

My motherboard is Asus P5LD2-VM

I am using XP.

Right now I have my windows audio switched to disabled and all my sound deviced disabled.

When I enable them, the computer still has no sound and lags very badly.

Please let me know what other information I can offer to hopefully get this issue worked out.

Thank you in advance!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First, it is a good idea to install the newest chipset driver from ASUS:
    Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V8.3.0.1013 for Windows 2000/XP

Try this and see , if it gets your sound back.
    KB835221 Hotfix
    1. Remove "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus"
    2. Download from Microsoft the KB835221 hotfix and install it: KB835221 Hotfix http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...tem=pv-22533-1
    3. Restart the system, and XP will automatically detect the devices
    4. After this you should be able to install Realtek drivers.
    Realtek ALC888 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5294 for Windows 2K/XP

3. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

When I restarted my system, it attempted to install the Realtek. But it asked for a CD to install. I don't have a CD for this and don't know what to try next.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You mean after re-starting in #3 in the fix? Sorry, I should have told you to tell the Wizard, "NO."
    Did you try to install the driver I suggested?
    Realtek ALC888 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5294 for Windows 2K/XP

It wiill be a .zip file. Just extract it and double-click the setup.exe file.

5. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Done. And still no sound. What's next please?

6. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

By the way. I looked into the device manager and noticed that Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller and Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter have the yellow exclamation point next to them.

I don't know how relevant it is.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try running theSystem File Checker
    1) Insert your OS disc and close auto-play if it opens.
    (If you have a Recovery Partition you can skip this step.)
    2) Goto Start>Run, type cmd and press Enter.
    A command window will open.
    3) Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
    This will compare your OS files to the OS files on your OS disc (or Recovery Partition) and repair or replace any missing or corrupt files, without affecting your personal files. (Music, Photos, Apps, etc.)

Using Device Manager, try updating the Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceler and Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter. (If they are still showing problems)
    If that doesn't work, uninstall them and restart your PC.
    They should reinstall when Windows starts back up.

BTW You are re-enabling your sound sound to test, aren't you?

8. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

I must be the biggest pain ever to help troubleshoot, but I don't have my OS discs.

I do try re-enabling my devices when I test. But haven't had any positive results yet.

Just looking at the device manager now, it has changed again. Now the ones with the yellow exclamation point next to them are:

Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller
    Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer
    Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer

Sorry for the trouble of not having my OS discs available. If this makes the fix a great deal more difficult please let me know because I do not wish to waste your time at all.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The SFC was just to make sure that your OS is is intact and not the cause of the trouble.
    And after looking around some more, it looks like THAT is the problem.
    Did you install your Windows from an image?
    This MS article describes your problem, almost exactly:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811428

10. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Windows was installed from the original disk several years ago.

I am trying to read through the link that you posted and make some sense of what I need to do to fix this problem.

11. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

I have read through the link several times and realize how little I know about computers. I start drooling halfway through.

Is this an issue that I can fix with the help of this site or should I bring it to someone who can get his hands on the computer and dig around easier?

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I think you will need an OS disc, at the least, to fix your problem.
    One thing you can try, is uninstalling the update. (if you remember what it was.)

I read through that page I linked you to and one of the the other pages it linked to.
    I was drooling, too. LOL

What it sounds like, is that you have an OEM OS install and that update created a situation smilar to the one described on that MS page.
    I'm not sure if a simple repair shop (or Geek Squad rolleyes) would follow through with the steps mentioned there. But, I would print that page and this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479/EN-US/
    Show them to whoever you take your PC to, let them know you believe it is fixable, WITHOUT a reinstall of the OS, as they may say the only fix is to reinstall Windows.
    If they say the only fix is a reinstall, then make sure you back up all your personal files (music, photos, documents, etc.) and make a list of your apps for downloading later. (MG has a good selection and most are free)
    Good luck and let me know what you find out.

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is too simple and if it works, I'm an idiot.
    Uninstall your Audio driver, then Scan for Hardware changes.

14. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

I tried your idea with uninstalling the drivers. No help yet. Though I am not positive that I did this entirely correctly. But I did it to the best of my limited knowledge :)

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I meant to go into Device Manager, right click on your audio driver in Sounds, Video, and Game Controllers, choose uninstall, then right click on it again and choose scan for hardware changes.

16. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Done.

Only one has come up with a yellow exclamation point on it now.
    Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer.

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, uninstall Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer through Device Manager and reboot should fix that.

18. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Uninstalled and did a reboot.

It shows up again with the yellow exclamation point after reboot.

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer driver is contained in the kmixer.sys file. You might try updating it through Device Manager and pointing towards this file.
    Right click either multimedia device in Device Manager. Choose Update driver,
    Choose "No, not this time" on the first window of the Hardware Wizard, click Next.
    Choose "Install from a list or specific location", click Next.
    Choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", click Next.
    Click "Have disc".
    Then browse to the proper driver. (kmixer.sys)

20. Blakeley Lad

Blakeley Lad Private E-2

Realtek SOUND enabling for ASUS XP:
    Steps:- Boot up holding down ‘Delete’ key to see BIOS settings.
    Use ‘right arrow’ to see ‘Advanced’ heading.
    Down arrow to ‘On board Devices Configuration’, press ‘Enter’
    ‘HD Audio Controller’ press + or – key to display [Enabled]
    ‘Front Panel Support Type’, press + or – key to display [AC97]
    Maybe last two can be varied, mine are set to:
    ‘Onboard PCIEX 10/100Mb LAN’ is [Enabled]
    and
    ‘LAN Option ROM’ [Disabled]

Note: I have spent many hours on the web before I found this!
    Good Luck!

21. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Thank you for all the help and tips fellas but still no luck on this very annoying issue. I am going to bring this computer into the local computer repair shop and just spend the cash to fix it.

Thank you again for all the time you've offered to help. Unfortunately though, not having this computer in front of you seems to limit some options.

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hold on, I just discovered something about the Intel 945 chipsets. They use a Intel-configured Realtek driver. Give this a try before you head to the PC shop.
    Perform these steps again: (Don't worry if one isn't there, we just want to clean up stray driver bits)

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Look for the following two items: Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver and High Definition Audio driver Package - KB888111.
    3. If these items are listed in Add/Remove programs, remove them.
    4. Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    5. Download the latest audio driver for your desktop board from Download Center.
    6. This is The HD audio driver from Intel and is for your chipset and Realtek chips: AUD_allOS_5605_PV_Realtek.exe Download
    7. Double-click the filename to extract the files.
    8. Go to the folder where the files have been extracted and browse to the \HDAQFE\xpsp2\us\ folder or the \MSHDQFE\Win2K_XP\us\ folder. (The name of this folder depends on your desktop board model.)
    9. Double-click the file kb888111xpsp2.exe to install the High Definition Audio Driver Package.
    10. Restart Windows.
    11. Install the audio driver.

23. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

I followed these steps and now finally my Device Manager is clean from the pesky exclamation marks.

Still no sound, but the Device Manager is clean. Any follow-up ideas?

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Well, that sounds like a step in the right direction anyway.
    Look in Device Manager and see if you have Realtek audio installed.
    (Also look in the system section fo the UAA Bus driver or HD audio controller)
    The drivers may be there and something else may be the problem now.
    If they are there, we will have to sort it out but shouldn't be a problem.
    If they are not there go down to the next steps.

Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

Now, let's try the normal way of installing drivers.
    Look in Add/Remove Programs again and make sure there is no Realtek audio. If there is uninstall it.

Now cross your fingers, knock on wood, and do these next steps. :-D

First, install your chipset: (this will be a direct download fron ASUS)
    Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V8.3.0.1013 for Windows
    Reboot, if the installation doesn't do it on it's own.

Install the MS UAA Bus driver:
    Microsoft-UAA-Bus-Driver-for-High-Definition-Audio
    Reboot.

Install your audio driver: (this will be a direct download from ASUS)
    Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.5221 for Windows 2000/XP/XP
    Reboot.

25. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

Realtek Audio wont let me remove it from the add/remove programs list. It gives an error message and won't uninstall.

Also, the device manager sound items have the yellow exclamation points on some of them again.

Should I go ahead with the last installation steps you gave me or do something else have to be done first because of these new issues.

Thank you.

26. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You said your Device Manager was clean of problems after these steps:
    Do them again. And again don't worry if you can't remove the Realtek.
    When you finish them, post pictures of your Device Manager: (Sounds, Video, And Game Controller - System - Other Devices)

27. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

How can I post a picture? I tried using printscreen and paint but the file seems to be too big to attach here.

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

29. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

I keep getting an error message when I try this. Is there any other way?

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What error are you getting? Is it an error from the app or from your PC?

Have you cropped the screenshot of Device Manager, so that it just shows the Device Manager and not the whole monitor screen? That should upload without any resizing.

31. Discorde

Discorde Private E-2

It says:

Error occured while processing: C:/Documents and Settings/Chris/Desktop/snd.bmp

And even after cropping, the file size is still over 7mb

32. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I didn't want to have to recommend a large app, for this, but try this one:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/PhotoFiltre_d4587.html

Install and run it.
    Click File, Open, Browse to your picture, and click Open again. Picture should be in PhotoFiltre now. Right click on the picture, Choose Save As, pick a spot to send it (Desktop is good or on top of the original), Click Save and a new window shows with a sliding bar and a preview buttom. Slide and preview until you get it down to 97.7 KB. It should upload now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds