Internet Explorer does not fully load pages after boot. Hangs until 5 minutes after

Discussion in 'Software' started by dpz700, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Hello all,

Thank you first of all for reading this thread.
    I have just received my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400) back from repairs with hard drive replaced and noticed that it runs into a problem that I had managed to fix previously, but now have forgotten how to.

What basically happens is that after installing all windows updates (note, it does not occur when not installing certain updates, but there are several critical ones that do) and booting up Windows XP MCE2005, I cannot fully load most (not all) webpages for about 5 minutes.

When this problem occurs, the page either won't load at all and causes IE6 to hang or it loads partially and then hangs up. During that time I can only force close it and that works fine, except that trying again will result in the same problem.

If I leave the hanging window(s) open or wait the 5 minutes, the open windows will mysteriously load up as if nothing happened and any new instances of IE will work fine too. This of course is very annoying when you have to wait 5 minutes after each reboot to actually be able to view the majority of web pages.

I am pretty certain that it is a problem with one of the windows updates that affect IE6, because I can run webpages just fine using firefox even right after reboot.

I tried reformatting and reinstalling windows already last night. Again, only happens after certain critical security updates are installed...

Also, I already have the key FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367 in my registry (which stops IE from randomly crashing on loading webpages), however the interesting thing is that this time it was there after installing the updates rather than me having to manually add it. Not sure if this extra tidbit helps....

Thanks for your time

2. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Re: Internet Explorer does not fully load pages after boot. Hangs until 5 minutes aft

I realize I gave very little information regarding my problem. Here is some more. Hope it helps someone solve my problem.

Dell Inspiron 9400
    Intel Core Duo T7400 @2.16GHz
    2GB SD DDR 433 MHz RAM
    256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
    160GB SATA Fujitsu MHY2160BH
    Windows XP Pro MCE 2005
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card.
    -->The driver for this card is the newest Dell provides for it (11.5.0.32, revision A13 from September 2007), however I have Windows managing the connection rather than Intel, but the problem occurs either way.

In addition, this problem occurs after every reboot and each time I reconnect to the internet, including having a second connection while the first is still running, such as VPN, and when disconnecting VPN, the first connection gets the problem again for an extended period.

I guess this means that it is related to IE and to connecting to the internet in general. Just odd that it does not occur with FF...

Any help really appreciated!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Re: Internet Explorer does not fully load pages after boot. Hangs until 5 minutes aft

Hiya, ran that and other things suggested on the microsoft support website but unfortunately it didn't work.

Since I was still having another issue, I ran XP TCP/IP Repair and winsockxpfix and the latter fixed my problem oddly enough. Thanks for all the help guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds