The Netflix Player (Roku

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Jun 2, 2008.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So, I'm seriously considering getting this thing:

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Wired Review

Does anyone have this or heard of anyone who does?

2. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Looked at it and decided not to purchase it at this time. The main reason is because it is not for the newest releases but is mainly for NetFlix's on demand streaming movies. I can watch those comfortably enough on my computer monitors at this time.

Jack

3. LauraR

That was my thought too as far as the movies go, I guess. I just thought it would be nice to buy the box for $100, which I thought was a pretty good price and be able to watch it on my tv. The box has wireless, so there's no hook up except to your tv.

I figured they'd keep adding movies and its nice to be able to tune into the older ones once in a while. They are the ones I won't ever end up getting on DVD.

4. asplode

asplode Private E-2

My friend has this, but it's an app on his PC.

Couldn't you just hook your S-Video out up to your TV, turn your speakers up, and have virtually the same thing?

5. LauraR

Yeah. I could. I'd just rather not have to use my laptop since I don't want my kids messing around with doing that.

We'll see. Maybe I'll wait until they offer more.

My other concern is that netflix will start charging a fee for the service rather than offer it for free.

6. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I have Netflix now and of the 20 movies in my queue only two can be watched online. I do not know if that player will get a better selection, but I hope so because there are not a lot of movies available to watch online now (at least that I want to watch). :-D

Note that there is a fee, you have to be subcribed to Netflix. It says that here: "No change in monthly Netflix costs."

7. lordmaynoth

lordmaynoth Private First Class

I installed a roku for my sister on your 1080p tv, she absolutely loves it and it almost makes me want to buy a tv. The quality is top notch and looks better on the tv than on her laptop, and load times are near instant. This thing is so cool.

8. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Hey! Haven't seen you in a while...

@Laura:
    I'm seeing blu-ray players for around $130 that are netflix capable. Best Buy has a model. I'd give you a link but I'm hunting and pecking on this dadgum Wii keyboard right now. *SIGH* :(

EDIT: And because I can't clearly see the webpages with this dadgum Wii, I now realize this thread's now a year and a half old.

Dadgum Wii...

9. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

That's ok, it gives me a chance to point out that Wii is developing a dvd to allow Netflix instant play as well. My wife has already ordered it and once it is developed and delivered I'll try to post a review of it.

Jack

10. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Yup! Just signed up for netflix when I saw they're developing the disk..

Dadgum Wii.. :(

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It's coming to PS3 as well, and the 360 has had it for a while.

12. LauraR

Awesome. I never did get it and sadly enough I actually just discovered Watch Instantly with my new laptop that has an HDMI connection. Does it get more movies than the Instant Watch?

I just got a new Blu-ray for for Christmas. It didn't even occur to me to check that aspect of it out. It's a panasonic. I'll have to look.

lol....not a problem. As long as the thread is still relevant. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds