Wireless Networking Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Nov 18, 2003.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Ok, so it is time to get serious about Internet Security here. I am considering a new cable modem/router/firewall. I am not sure about the specs and difference in .11a .11b and .11g I know a is compatable with one and that b is cheaper.

I have XP home on the laptop and I intend to fomat C:/ y| here on the Win2E machine (Dell Dimension 4100 933 MHZ with 128 RAM) and then install either Home or Pro.

Opinions? Options? Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Other than (what's becoming) very specific environments, 11a is not advisable. Stick with 11b or the fast up-and-coming 11g. In time 11g will rule ... that is until some other fast protocol comes out. But what's new, eh!

Starkman

WHOA! Wait a minute ... you're talking about wireless computing, Internet security or what? Security ain't what it's yet to be for wireless. The cable modem/router/firewall thingie will hide your computer's IP, but what's that got to do with 11a, 11b and 11g???

I'm so confused!!! HA!

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

Since support for 98 is gone, I need to upgrade to XP. I will at the same time set up a wireless network and use the laptop that already has XP Home on it.

I know the wireless is not secure as it shoutd be but I feel real open now. My system has acted funny for the last few weeks and has a need for a format to remove some spyware that will not go away. I also want to enable profiles for entire family for web and e-mail that is not available on 98.

4. Draith

Draith Private E-2

Hey Bored,

In terms of security, it's quite right that security with a wireless network is somewhat an oxymoron - after all your transmitting your information on public access waves for everyone to listen to. I would advice to use the WEP encryption non-the-less, despite it's ease of bypass - it at least holds back the passive listeners. Just don't let yourself feel at ease with using it. My other recommendations are to use SSL websites as much as often - especially with financial transactions (these are websites prefixed by the https:// as opposed to http://) And if you need to connect to remote systems for linux and such, use ssh instead of telnet. Plus in cases that you can, use ssh tunneling.

Now for a quick primer on the three protocols... This is by no means authoritative but should help you a bit

802.11a:
    The fastest transmission rate (54Mbps raw - normally transmit around 27Mbps). It transmits around 5 Ghz, and therefore encounters little interference from other devices. Because it transmits around 5.4Ghz frequency, the signal only carries across half the distance of the other protocols. It is also not compatible with the other protocols (only part of a special product family)

802.11b:
    The most popular and most used protocol. Also the slowest, transmitting at 11Mbps raw, normally around 5-6Mbps (which is still a pretty decent speed). It transmits around the 2.GHz frequency, and can encounter interference from wireless phones, etc.. It transmits twice the distance of 11a. Can be compatible with 11g, and if you want to allow guests to use your network, they're more likely to have a card using 11b. Same if you wish to use a network freely available in a cafe, restaurant or library, they usually use 11b or maybe even 11g. devices for 11b are cheapest to purchase.

802.11g:
    The newest protocol (i believe it was just recently ratified) and pretty promising. Transmits 54Mbps raw, normal of around 20-25Mbps. Again uses the crowded 2.4GHz frequency band, but might not be a problem if you have space. Backwards compatible with 11b devices. This will be the new, popular standard.

For more information, there are a ton of good sites. One thing to note is that the 11b and 11g devices tend to have more room for antennae expansions and such. A book i've been reading that is *very* good was released by O'Reilly, titled, Wireless Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools.

later

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

THIS is what I was searching for

Thanks Draith!

6. Ms Peel

Ms Peel Private E-2

trying to get wireless...

I'm getting on the wireless bandwagon as of today. It was kind of an accident, as I just went to Best Buy to get a new router: the old one wasn't cutting it. I saw this new Netgear cable/wireless combo job and ran home with it. It's solved my basic DSL & networking problems, but I want to try out the built in wireless modem in my new laptop (the other two machines are hard-wired)!

I've finally got it to pick up a signal, but I still can't get online or pick up mail (in wireless mode. The hard wire setup works great). I'm very new to doing my own home network, so I'm learning as I go.

Modem is an Intersil Prism wireless LAN, v1.07.37
    I'm on XP pro on a practically brand new monster machine.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Peel

7. Ms Peel

Ms Peel Private E-2

ok, here goes...

Here's where I show how computer illiterate I am (no, I will not include the color of my modem...):

Earthlink DSL to a Westel Wirespeed modem to a new Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 port).
    Port 4 is hubby's old desktop: no problem
    Port 2: my old Dell (ugh) laptop, merrily picking up files from Kazaa, no problem.
    Port 1: my new custom built laptop w/ wireless modem. The wire to port 1 gets me online just fine, but when I try to use it wireless (I'm a whopping 10' from the router) I get a great signal but no result: can't get online).

I'm on xp pro
    Pentium 4 2.2 GHz processor
    496 MB RAM
    Toshiba hard drive
    INtersil PRISM Wireless LAN
    MAC Bridge Miniport
    1394 Net Adapter...

...hm, here's something that might figure in. I'm looking in the Device Manager under network adapters, and it's still listing my old router (Realtk RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC). I don't see the new router anywhere (Netgear MR814v2). Do I need to rectify this?

My network connections read as follows:

Broadband: Earthlink DSL (disconnected) WAN Miniport (PPPOE). I set this one up to connect directly to the modem when the old router went belly up.
    Network Bridge:
    1394 Connection; Enabled, Bridged (1394 net adapter)
    Local Area Connection; enabled, bridged, Realtek rtl etc.
    Network Bridge 5; enabled, MAC bridge miniport
    Wireless Network Connection 2; Enabled, bridged, Intersil ...etc.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need to know, because I'm sure I've overlooked something.

Thanks so much,
    Peel

8. Ms Peel

Ms Peel Private E-2

otay

I'll get right on it and report back.

Thanks so much!

Peel

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

Re: otay

I bought the same Router today in CompostUSA for $20 with rebate.

I got a card for laptop with rebate for $0. Some online info did not like Gigafast, but for $0, it works!

PC Club order info on Card for laptop

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds