Updating the Linux Kernel

Discussion in 'Software' started by DanTekGeek, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

Hi everyone. I just set up SuSE 8.2 on a PII 450mhz, 196mb ram machine. I really prefer KDE to GNOME, but KDE just freezes due to my hardware. I just read on slashdot about kernel 2.6.x and how it can speed up your sytem greatly. Im new to linux, and I dont know all that much about how to do things. I was wondering if one of you linux experts could explain to me what goes into updating the kernel, and what would be required to do it. You dont need to take me through it step by step, I just want the general idea. Thanks!

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

3. DanTekGeek

thanks, i couldent find any sites that explained it. i think ill stick with suse right now, but thanks for the offer

4. DanTekGeek

also, is there any way to automaticly update the kernel, as i said, im still a linux n00b, and i like just having to press buttons, or enter 1 commmand, not hundreds. also, i dont want to screw up. like an install package for YaST maybee?

5. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Not sure about YaST etc. features but make sure you get atleast 2.4.23, several new vulnerabilities have been found do to an extensive security audit by iSec.

6. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hey Vlad! Maybe you will be able to straighten this one out:
    I think:
    If you want performance from the kernel, don't you recompile, to make it smaller, making modules and such?

Nowadays, one can compile the kernel without much hassle;
    They've got the "make xconfig" way to do it.
    If you mess up, big deal. Just keep the original kernel.

If you google for "linux kernel recompile tutorial" or such search "strings", you will find many sites for it,
    DanTekGeek.

7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Generally, most of the time you want to recompile a kernel because standard kernels come with everything to support every computer, and you can recompile to just add support for needed features, also, you may need to add on hardware that is nto in the default install, like sound cards etc. that need not waste kernel space, or file system support, if you want to have SoundBlaster! support as well with lets say NTFS support you would need to recompile for both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds