XP freezes about 1-3% when copying files...

Discussion in 'Software' started by swalsh19, Jan 22, 2008.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I have a USED P4-2ghz unit here that I am trying to install Windows on. I have tried a couple different drives and each time the XP install freezes anywhere between 1-3% when copying files.

I will check the RAM next, but if you have any ideas I would love the input.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Only time I've ever seen a windows setup crap out like you are describing is when the RAM is bad, and when the CMOS battery is bad.

Of course, you can run Memtest86 for free, but the CMOS battery can be replaced cheaply as well!

3. swalsh19

Thanks for the tip. I'm running memtest as we speak. I know the RAM is good, its just a matter or not the motherboard likes the RAM.

I will try the cmos battery as well as I have them onhand too.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Just outta curiosity, does the s in swalsh19 stand for Steve?

5. swalsh19

Still no luck. Memtest ran 4 passes no errors.

Tried the cmos battery as well with no luck. I even restored bios to default setting...

Maybe its just the motherboard itself. I have a IDE card here I'm going to try it next.

6. swalsh19

yes the S does equal Steve.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Whoa...

You're not from Shelburne, are you?

8. swalsh19

No west of London.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds