The Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by motc7, Apr 6, 2010.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

That's right. I know we got some footy fans in this here place and we got WC2010 coming up and it's going to be a blast! Especially when England falls once again before the Colonies. LOL

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

We're going to top the group and thrash you!

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok thats it, I'm saying it...... you're Scottish aren;t you? or maybe Northern England.... hmmm....am I right? :hyper

Been in the states a few years but just can't let go of old blighty :-D

I'm looking forward to the World Cup, I always enjoy watching my team get knocked out of tournaments and then rehashing the travesty of '86 :-D

Thats why watching the Olympic hockey and cheering for Canada was awesome, a team I support actually WON!! :-D

4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

I'm 95% Scottish blood, born in England, so when a World Cup comes around, I support In-ger-lind. Cause Scotland never make it through to the finals, usually getting beat off Vatican City or Inner Mongolia on the way out of the qualifiers.
    We got no realistic chance of winning the thing, other teams are far too technically superior to us. Although the English press would have the world believe that a) England ain't got a chance without Wayne Roony and b) England will win it WITH Rooney.
    We'll win the first round phase with or without him. We'll lose to Germany in the semis on penalties. As usual.

Edit: @ Ned. Why the funk would a northern Englishman not support England? We ain't a different country, you know. Despite what the government would have you believe.

And, now that Newcastle are back in the Premier, we can select Steve Harper, best goalie in England.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. motc7

There's some Yorkies I know who would disagree with ye.

6. joey off the street

Aaaah.....Yorkies. Not only a different country but also a different species. Tighter than a shark's arse at 50 fathoms. And they are soooooooo gobbie. They make Tonyhale and Rikky look like Trappist monks :p
    I like their puddings, though.

Hawway the Mags.

7. motc7

And remember, Allen Bennett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJxzDYJ4C3Y

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Let me elbaorate on my logic, firstly we have this fine gentleman who clearly is a big fan of Red Dwarf, a cult BBC2 British TV show.
    Secondly he named the thread "Football" and put "Soccer" in brackets.
    And thirdly (and the reason for thinking Scottish or N.England, he says "Aye" frequently :-D

And I didn't get from his post that he doesn't support England, just that he makes fun of them like 65 million other people on our little island :-D

As for the Magpies getting back in the premier, thats good .... for them, now Norwich just need to just a coule of divisions .... that day will come and it will be the same day Satan skates to work lol

Back on topic, Joey, you put too much faith in Rooney, people do this, they done the same with Beckham and Liniker and Robson, Barnes, Waddle, Hoddle (what a load of twaddle :-D ) , one man doesn't make a team and although Rooney is a good player, he's yet to show it on the international stage when it matters making him IMO not as great as people make out.
    Ferdi's captain isn't he?... Now that might be interesting, thank god Beckham isn't in it, the guy is useless unless he gets a free kick within 25yrds.

9. motc7

Nope, I am 100% American, and 100% Texan. My family is Scottish though, and a portion of it is also Yorkie. I say Aye alot because i frequent footy sites a lot and have picked up on the lingo over the years, that it's easier to adapt and speak the Queen's English so everyone understands...Not that I am posing or anything because I am not, but nevertheless, I am a huge fan of British culture.

10. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

roflmao Thats funny, true none the less :-D

Well you could have (and did) fool me, hope no offense taken, none meant :)

Did'nt we draw the US in our group this year?.... You guys can use Beckham if you want, we don't want him :-D

11. motc7

Heeyoop aye. LOL

None taken. If anything after revealing that, I thought I may have offended.

Nah...Bench it like Beckham.

12. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Imitation is the highest form of flattery ;)

13. motc7

Unless that person is Jimmy Hill....

14. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

OMG! Are you serious? you even know who Jimmy Hill is? lol

You know they designed a Lifeboat from his chin :-D

Gotta send much respect your way good sir, you have certainly paid attention over, I would say, many years.

I'm qite looking forward to the world cup to be honest, it will be my second here in Canada and once again I will have no one to talk to about it that will understand anything I'm saying :-D

15. motc7

Of course. He's the only person to been banished from heaven for having a hideously horrible chin.

Lifeboats and a football career. Who would have guessed!

Well, public TV in the United States had a huge role in it. In fact, here in Dallas, ours was the first station in America to broadcast British Comedies. The first? None other than Monty Python's Flying Circus! You pick up a lot from watching shows like Britcoms and now some of the other shows like Doctor Who, and some of the other dramas.

But the internet and just meeting people from the UK has also been a huge influence. I long for the day to visit Britain, and specifically Scotland, the ancestral home of my family. (Aberdeen/Montrose area)

I also plan to take in some extreme sports like walking into a Rangers pub with a Dandy Dons kit on. That should provide entertainment, if not, my first experience with British healthcare.

You've got us here me laddo...old Ace Rimmer will be here to have a chin wag or two about ye olde footy.

16. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Well thats makes you my main target for venting when we get knocked out lol

As for visiting, Scotland is a great place, been up there a few times, but to be honest it matters not what strip you wear in a rangers pub, just walk in and speak jibberish in a scottish accent :-D

17. motc7

You mean like Rab Nesbitt? LOL!!!!!!

18. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol man you do watch a lot of uk tv :-D

19. joey off the street

See Rooney could be out for the World Cup (again) after the mauling Man Utd got off Bayern Munich on Wednesday LOL Alex Ferguson weren't too happy as usual :-D
    We won't win the thing with or without him. Too many stronger teams than England there. I predict Spain to have a great tournament.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Football players these days are panseys! one hangnail and they are crying to mommy, game has gone downhill for me since 1980sm support Everton if I'm asked a team, will support England in any championship games, but Fabio has to play you younger players relying on the old hasbeans and injured then we have no chance.

Actually we have no chance anyways as to be brutally honest the team these days is not thinking of playing for England but playing for the WAG and boozy nights they are missing while in SA.

In the group they are in I would say USA and England will go through with England 1st but once they get to the playoff games and if England hit the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany then they screwed.

21. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I have to agree with Halo 100% here, the game is gone.

@Joey... Rooney is a great little player but dude, he is not the be all and end all of football, he's 1 player, last world cup he did nothing special, like I said we put so much faith in these "Superstars" and they rarely deliver on the world stage. Forget Rooney, we don't need him hacking his way through defensmen just to get sent off and leave us a man down.
    We need players who are going to go out there and fight for it, not go out there thinking "I'm great and I don't need to try" like Rooney and Beckham.

22. joey off the street

Whoah!! We're both singing from the same hymn sheet here, man.
    I agree with you. Rooney is a decent player, but he ain't that spectacular. He is easily wound up, loses his composure when things go against him and doesn't seem to be able to take a hard tackle. Typical Man Utd player. I ain't bigging Shrek up to the point where I think he'll win England the World Cup, England ain't got a snowball in Hell's chance. Even if he is fit.
    Hope France don't win it, though. Cheating b****rds.
    Norwich 1-1 MK Dons :)

23. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Hey come on, you got to have some faith in our national team, they might surprise you......emphasis on the word "Might" lol

Norwich held a draw? lol According to my mum they havn't had too bad a season, although being in a low division they should have a good season, they used to be a 1st division team when I was a kid, Chris Woods in goal, Dave Watson cpt, Culverhouse holding the defnese together, good days, good days.

24. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree Ned, while my earlier post is me being a butt and all tounge in cheek, the England squad "if" they take there mind off WAGs, fame and fortune, the next Ferrari in the garage ,etc they may just do well but I stand by the fact Fabio needs to play some of the younger players in lieu if the old guns, the England team seems to play them out of some sort of duty or gratitude for past endevours!

25. canary_joe

canary_joe Private E-2

Excuse me?????? We're on the up :-D

26. joey off the street

OMFG. Another tractor driver.
    Yeah, you are on the up. Best of luck in the Championship.
    Could be worse. You could be a Mackem. Or a sludge trooper like Rustyjack :neener
    Norwich have had quite a good season. Looks like they going to walk League One and with some fine tuning, they could be back in the Premier in 2011/2012......
    playing the big boys like the Mags.

Howway the Toon.

27. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Pompey going to win the FA cup!!!

28. joey off the street

Hahahahaha. Love your humour, Mac. Second only to your Optimism :-D

29. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lmao OMG I thought I was the only carrott cruncher on the web :-D

On the ball CITY!!

@Halo... Agree 100% sir, get some fast legs out there and let em rip.

@JOTS... Would be nice to see them back where they SHOULD be, been a long time since Norwich were considered a threat......1985? lol
    Funny, I was going through some old stuff the other day, stuff like photo's etc I brought with me when I moved and I found newspaper pages from 1985 when Norwich won the Milk Cup.... Sunderland scored an own goal :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds