Internet Connection Sharing and Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'Software' started by luciano991, Jul 26, 2006.

1. luciano991

luciano991 Private E-2

Hello,

Well out here in the sticks we're still waiting for broadband so i have a client who wants to do ICS in Windows XP Pro. We have a desktop connected to a router with a cable. The desktop connects to the Internet on dialup. I have run the Network wizard to setup a home network and create a shared dialup connection. We have a laptop that connects to the network through the same router only wirelessly. I ran the network setup wizard on that computer. Here are the problems:

1. Whenever you fire up the laptop the desktop starts dialing up and you can't stop it. I tried disabling auto dial to no avail. I checked for viruses and spyware and other programs like norton or windows update that might be trying to dial up.

2. ICS sets the host computer(the desktop) to a static IP of 192.168.0.1. The router is 192.168.2.1. The router's IP can be change as long as the last quartet is .1. So if you change the router to 192.168.0.1 you get IP conflicts.

3. I have had trouble getting the two workgroup computers to do file sharing. Both computers are running Norton IS and i have run the network wizard and checked program settings. Sometimes they will only share files when the dialup connection is connected.

4. I had it all fixed once, but the laptop would not surf even though it showed a connection to the network and the dialup connection gateway.

5. I need to start over as in from the beginning to get a process that goes in the right order.

Thanks in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds