Need to buy a new cable modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Sep 5, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Due to problems with my current Motorola SB5120 cable modem (discussed in this thread), I have determined that I need a new one, and I figured I'd buy one and drop the lease from my ISP which would save me about $6 a month (or $72/year - a new modem is only about $30). I'm considering the Linksys CM100 modem mainly 'cuz I can get one brand-new with 2 year warranty for about $32. They are also widely available online. I could also simply get a new SB5120 (at ebay for about $25-$30). If anyone has any suggestions for a cable modem that would be compatible with the Motorola SB5120, please post....

(if anyone has a cable modem for sale, PM me and we'll discuss it)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I also found a DLink DCM-202 modem for under $25 (used) on eBay..... any thoughts or suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm in the market for a new cablemodem myself, and have decide I will probably get a Motorola, either a 6120 or a 6180. My reasoning is that those two are both "certified" by my ISP, which will save me major headaches if I ever need to call their Tech Support. This way they won't be able to dismiss me with a "oh, you didn't buy a certified cablemodem" if I need to call them, which I occasionally do. Also, my current one is a Motorola that has served me well for several years, and I know how their web interface works so I'll hopefully be able to set it up fairly easily. :)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have always been partial to Linksys. :major

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I just now was looking at the list of "approved modems" at my ISPs web site. Unfortunately, the Linksys CM100 isn't on their list, but that doesn't mean it won't work. However, to avoid problems (I've had enough problems with my modem in past month), I am going to get one on the list. There's the DLink DCM-202 along with several Ambit and Cisco models listed, and I'm researching 'em now....

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Doesn't Cisco own Linksys?

I would probably get one the ISP approves of, just to make it easy if you have to deal with the ISP.

7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If I remember right, Cisco bought Linksys a while back, but are keeping the brand alive.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah - Cisco owns Linksys, but Linksys is still its own brand and is alive and well as Mimsy stated above.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds