somthing running in background ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by ncc1701dhhr, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ncc1701dhhr

ncc1701dhhr Private First Class

I dont know if this is where this question belongs or not but here goes... my computer has been acting differant as in slower and programs not starting right away some times even have to click again and my windows washer is going over areas and not cleaning like it used to I mean after a night of surfing 20 or 30 meg clean up is normal now i am lucky if it cleans up 2 or 3 meg after all day. I tried removal and reinstall of washer program but no change. also the drain on my cpu
    I am having trouble finding the drain on my cpu it has a constant 13% useage but I cant find it I have shut down all programs that show being open IE: virus program fire wall and such
    tried Contrl, alt ,del to close any task that migh be running
    still 13% useage going goofy trying to figure this out but I do need help next step is to re format and clean install
    I know sounds exstrem but dont want a bad program running in my Computer have read some horror stories about bots installing them self and attacking others from the host pc
    I have cable and if true it can do a lot of dammage. :(
    help

2. Draith

Draith Private E-2

Hey, something else to consider. You may also have a program running on your system that has memory leakage issues. If it's not something that automatically starts with your system, i would check to see what the feel is like when you first boot up. Is your system running smoothly at first? If so, systematically run each of the application you normally run, one at a time, to see if any of them are eating up memory.

I'd also highly recommend you follow star's suggestions too

3. ncc1701dhhr

ok I down loaded spy bot and it found 3 things my ad aware did not so there are gone, already had gone through the system and ms config to check nothing in there ran my anti virus again
    and was clean I use Kasperskys personal and kasperskys Fire wall, the cpu is still running 13% useage and I am clueless as to why nothing new has been installed by me and nobody elce has accsess to this pc, any other Ideas?? oh if i had not said so before thank you all for the help

Ps opp system is XP home

4. ncc1701dhhr

the os is Win XP Home

5. ncc1701dhhr

ok will do I think ctrl,alt,del will get me there

6. ncc1701dhhr

it shows only my earthlink internet , and Majorgeeks message board that is all, last time I checked the cpu useage was 2 weeks ago and this 13% useage was not there that is why i am so concerned

7. Draith

Draith Private E-2

Hey. Yeah you want to do the ctrl-alt-del thing, however it looks like you're looking in the "Applications" tab. I think Star was talking about the "Processes" tab. In this portion of the Task Manager, it shows pretty much every process running on your machine, under what user the process is running, how much memory "cpu" the process is using and how much memory the process is using.

So go to that tab when you notice this, and tell us which processes are using the most memory, and which ones are using the most cpu.

ciao! :)
    o Draith

8. ncc1701dhhr

Ok i See the only thing using cpu is (1)system using13 and system idle process using 88 as for the most memory explorer is biggist hog at 34,928K then svchost.exe at 25,136K then iexplore.exe at 24,660 the rest ar 10k and under this help?

9. Draith

Draith Private E-2

Someoneout there will correct me if i'm wrong, however System Idle should probably be using a cpu up in the 90s if you're not really running anything, so something is up - although we already figured that with your excess memory usage. And system seems to be using a bit more cpu than normal, but that might be wavering between 13 and 1 cpu unit.

As for memory, svchost isn't too reliable an indicator for me since it essentially runs like a proxy for a ton of smaller bits of programs on your computer. One thing that does seem suspicious to me is that explorer is using nearly 35,000K when it sounds like you're not running much on your system. (Am I wrong all you majorgeeks?) This is because your explorer is running on almost twice as much memory as mine is, which is barely running over 14.000K. hrm...

These are my two guesses as to your problem - however i have to disclaim that these are guesses, and someone else hopefully has a better answer. It seems either that (a) you have a bunch of little programs running a leak through the servicehost process, or, there's a memory leak going on in your Windows operating system itself. If it was me, i might try what's called an Over-the-Top reinstallation of windows, however this might be overkill and might not be the cause of your problem. I *highly* recommend you wait to hear what someone else says about this issue, like Major Attitude or Kodo, before you do anything else (although i don't think an over-the-top would do any damage to your system, i just don't want you sitting bored for an hour or couple of hours).

o Draith

10. ncc1701dhhr

Thanks for the fast reply! I will wait to hear others Ideas too I will be signing off shortly and will check back tomorrow if I have to I will do a re format and clean install but was hoping not to have to but thanks for the suggestions ! By the way i did make an immage of my system (with drive immage 7 ) when i had all the up dates and programs in bout month ago might that work??
    Thanks

11. ncc1701dhhr

Well I tried to run my back up from Drive Image 7 and all went well till 3 rd cd was not recognised and failed so now the only hope was a re format and clean install. all went well and took me 5 hrs to get it all back to normal ! and the 13% useage is gone as well so I guess it all worked just big hassle but not to bad all in all I am back and like brand new :D
    Thanks for all the help out there i realy do apreciate it
    Herb (Geek in training);)

12. Mistic

Mistic Private E-2

On a PS note. You can cntrl+alt+del and look in your processes and if you see something out of the ordinary, you can use the search function to track it down and see where it resides, this can tell you allot about a certian process.

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

there are some programs that run in the background and are not necessarily shown in the processes.

What I suggest is that you
    click on start
    click on run
    type services.msc
    then compare those services running with the ones on the following website.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Fast_User_Switching_Compatibility

anything else thats running and you do not know what it is. Will probably will be the culprit.

You will see things like your firewall and antivirus and maybe even your defrag program running.

I even had norton ghost running there in automatic.
    which I changed to manual.

some of those processes or services do not show on the ctrl-alt tab option

also

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

and

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

to check those processes you do not know.

14. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Mem usage for exporer.exe & iexplore.exe

I've been doing a search on MG and I may have missed this type of info...can someone tell me what "normal" mem usage is for explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe?

I've seen posts about TeaTimer being a mem hog, and other programs taking up a lot of resources...but what exactly is "hogging memory?"

I've been to those sites months ago and have disabled several services already to speed things up. It's really not that I have a problem or that anything is slow.

I checked Task Manager and over and over again explorer.exe uses 20,000 k or more and iexplorer is up to 40,000 - 46,000k or more.

NORMAL?

15. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Re: Mem usage for exporer.exe & iexplore.exe

oops -- too late for an edit:

I have Windows xp home, 256 MB of RAM with 2.8 GHz processor if that makes a difference

16. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

MEM USAGE experts -- need help!!

I know this was an old post that I had searched...I'm replying to my own post to keep this on the "first page" of software because that's where this thread started.

Any idea if my system is OK -- I just need to KNOW what's normal. It probably is normal (I know, what's "normal",right?) But it sounds high compared to other numbers I've read about (like I already said so I won't repeat myself)

17. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Pegg: I checked Task Manager and over and over again explorer.exe uses 20,000 k or more and iexplore is up to 40,000 - 46,000k or more. Normal?
    Hi Pegg :) No. Not normal. explore.exe is a virus entry (GraybirdG.) according to LiUtilities. For removal instructions see Symamtec. At least that's what Googling got me ;)
    Bill

18. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Pegg: IGNORE my post. explorer exe. IS NOT a virus. DOH! Sorry. I gotta learn to type better :rolleyes: ATTN ADMIN: Plse. delete my stupid post.

19. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Ignore this too. Man -- bad day at BillVille

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds