Internet Explorer 9 - Beta released! Why it's the best thing since sliced bread...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dlb, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Re: Internet Explorer 9 - Beta released! Why it's the best thing since sliced bread..

Before the bashing starts: I'm not saying the IE9 is the best browser, I haven't even used it! I was simply relaying the thoughts of the author of the article I linked to. So, all you MS/Gates haters, chill out... read the article, try the browser, then make your own informed decision.

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: Internet Explorer 9 - Beta released! Why it's the best thing since sliced bread..

Just a quick FYI for those they do not know this. IE9 is only for Vista and Win 7.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

IE9 Beta is available at MG.

See http://majorgeeks.com/Internet_Explorer_9_Platform_Preview_d909.html
    Size: 35.9 MB
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win7/Vista
    Downloaded: 19103 Times
    Rating: 2.46 (41 votes)

Relevant, important quote, that probably explains the "poor" rating:

Bazza

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

For the rest of us, there is Chrome.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you have not tried it then do so, its beta so expect a few quirks and as MSFT has a long lead time to many major softwares then expect this to be RTM in 2011, maybe 2010 but more like 2011.

Some GUI slight issues I have found but nothing major as yet, does render graphical pages very well and as it can use your GFX card to help with Flash and Sliverlight pages it is a welcome addition.

Is it the best thing since sliced bread, likely not but is a step in the right direction and is for me (and I have used earlier versions if IE9) a bit of a Windows 7 of the Internet Explorer range.

But if testing this do be warned it is beta (critisising without a good step by step reason is futile and makes you look a amature, so dissing it because its MSFTs is a waste of time, come up with a good bug or fault fix and thats a positive critic) and open to crashing and issues as well as removing your IEx version as cannot run both (easily) but can uninstall IE9 beta and this will restore your IEx version if you do not like it.

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have been using IE9 since from platform preview and I always liked the browser it has defo made me switch back to MSFT from other browsers.

I have used in the past

Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and 4 beta 6
    Opera 10.70
    Google Chrome 7 beta
    Apple Safari
    Comodo Dragon
    Slimbrowser
    Avant Browser

But out of them only google chrome is within the league with IE9 in terms of speed. I think MSFT has got something thats worth to talk about in browser wars.

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Chrome lasted only 2 hrs on my PC before uninstalling as it could not do what I needed to do. It was even more annoying than the problems with FireFox. ;)

9. DavidGP

Hi

Great post BTW, did you not find the platform preview a pita with having no menu system to enter urls? not that it was an issue as it wasnt designed to have a menu or tabs yet, but did give a great look into the speed of the core of IE.

I agree with you in part on the speed, its good compaired to say IE7 or 8 and the other broswers, is it quick enough, maybe not but maybe it will be better in the final release, its for me in rough tests on par with Opera 10.70 and Minefield 4.0b7 (Chrome for me has an annoying addon that can on some websites slow them to next to nothing until you kill its process)

Using this release for a few days now as main browser its running fine, not major issues as yet, but well lets see what the final version is like.

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, so far so bad.:-D I was trying it in VMWare for a couple of days and thought I may as well install it on my second rig. Bad idea! All it does is say 'no connectivity and then'it's not working and trying to find a solution' and then tells me to 'close i't it but this puts me in an endless loop, I couldn't even get to cancel it from task manager as those two error boxes kept popping up so fast so I had to reboot.

Once my blood pressure goes down, I'll un/re-install it and give it one more shot.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  11. DavidGP

Well it is beta Augie so open to issues, especially with 3rd party apps, so if continuing and you wish to resolve this in that VM start a post in Software forum.

12. augiedoggie

I think it's my bad as I dl'd the default offered 64 bit version @ MS download and the IE button at the left of the taskbar was perhaps calling up the X86 version?:confused Starting X64 in the 'All Programs' menu has solved that little dilemma.

I couldn't find the uninstall though I looked everywhere in Control Panel and MS Features. That's probably a candidate for a thread.:)

13. bmull

bmull Private E-2

I just installed it on my laptop..I know I have yet to give it much chance, but I really am not impressed with the layout of it.... Kinda reminds me of google chrome............. it didn't last 30 minutes on my pc. However, it does seems very fast.... Although I am addicted to Firefox..... even though IE9 Beta is faster than my Firefox..... I really do not know if I will be able to switch back to an IE browser.......LOL! you never know though...... I didn't think I would switch from IE to Firefox either...LOL

14. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I wondered about that one. It is only for Vista or Win.7, so XP is not even going to get it. I heard XP will be supported thru 2014, so I'll stick with IE7 I have on it now.

Just curious, augiedoggie, what OS do you have? :confused

15. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

for somethings it is quite annoying and support is difficult indeed.

I am confident after beta that IE9 will be rock solid, it was not my intent to hijack the thread.

:-o

16. augiedoggie

Windows 7 X64

17. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Now I can see your frustration then. I read it was only available to Win.7 and Vista. I sure do hope you get it sorted out. Sounds like it is enough to pull your hair out.:(

18. augiedoggie

Nah, not enough hair left to pull out!;) Thing that bugs me is that it worked perfectly in a VM and it didn't on a live install. I would have thought the VM would fail before the live due to all the extra code that comes with running a VM. :confused I'm going to restore the machine and grab the X86 this time and see what happens.

EDIT: YES, the VM is also X64.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  19. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Augie, well, it looks to be "the best thing since sliced bread..." so I hope you can get it up and running. I won't have to deal with it on my machine, as I have XP, until I decide to install the Vista, BIG( IF )there! :eek But, my neighbor has Vista, so I am concerned as to what she will have to deal with. She already has IE8 blocked, so I told her I don't know 'yet' if IE9 will even come in. She has x86 as do I.

Yes, I agree, that if it worked fine on the VM, should have been a breeze on yours.

Do keep us posted on how things go with yours. ;)

20. DavidGP

Will likely be a block tool for IE9 as was for IE8 as many corporations have applications that wont work with IE9 so to save WAUS auto installing it on 1 -10000s of PCs in a corporation the tooll will likely be available again close to RTM.

But at present wouldnt worry as its a 1st Public Beta only, odds are on a 2011 release to RTM for IE9 as MSFT do have long lead times to apps of this ilk.

21. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Halo, I sure do hope so! Altho I am not a fan of Vista in the first place, I know she sure didn't like IE8, so I have some time to get that block for her for IE9 rolleyes Yes, I think the block tool is a great addition.;) I'll keep my eyes open for it. :wave

22. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:-D Nice to see so much lively discussion!!!

Yeah - I'm lame - I started the thread but haven't yet tried the IE9 beta :innocent Maybe this weekend, but my birthday is coming up on Thurs the 23rd so I'm likely to be in a beer-soaked haze until at least the 26th or so :drink

23. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

You can open url's in ie9 platform preview you had to click on the menu and then click open and you enter the website address in there but now there have launched ie9 beta its alot better than platform preview.

In terms of looks it does look a bit like chrome and also firefox aswell with back and forward buttons. But I really like the browser before I was really afraid of using IE due to security but IE9 has defo made me come back to using MSFT browser again.

I recommend anyone giving it a try.

24. DavidGP

I agree with you on the looks dept and TBH they all start copying each other at times, with the various differing options and the look.

Mockups of the UI for Firefox 3.7 and more so 4.0 are impressive HERE and would imagine some ideas have fintered into IE9

The comment about it being good enough to win you back will be a welcome one for MSFT, they wont will everyone back or keep everyone (some diehards will just not like it) but I guess in part they have been listening to beta testers and customers feedback as they did with Windows 7.

25. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Some more opinions on IE9 Beta from Windows Secrets latest newsletter
    The address of this issue is http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/100923
    Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds