Opera Problem and How to Delete Files That Won't Delete?

Discussion in 'Software' started by secretdefender, Apr 6, 2015.

1. secretdefender

secretdefender Private E-2

I like to use Opera when ebaying but recently when i go there it won't load and it says invalid certificate. Actions i've already done: check date and time, reinstalled the version i have, upgraded to newest version. My certificate been the same since i first used it if a expired certificate is the reason why act up now instead of doing it right it away? Are expired certificates safe to delete? I can load ebay fine in firefox and it's a old version.

Windows XP SP3 - how to delete files that windows will not let you delete? There's several i would like removed that's safe to remove but won't let me. It usually lets me delete some but not all files. Nothing is open when trying to delete except windows explorer. Tried closing everything and running dos command prompt negative. Not going to list them all but a few are: Microsoft Outlook a original install when windows installed, IE installed when windows installed, symatec antivirus i installed to try out didn't like it wanted to remove won't let me, malwarebytes antimalware i installed newest version but it made a new folder automatically leaving the old version can't delete old version and others similiar. Is there maybe a safe program to use to unlock it or something?

Thanks for your time.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Why are you trying to delete these files instead of just using Add/Remove in Control Panel? For deleting locked files I always boot to a Linux live CD and delete them there. (You cannot remove IE in XP btw)

3. secretdefender

Tried the add/remove. Either what i want to delete isn't there or it denies to delete. I'll try out those programs you suggested.

I did not never change, add or remove any certificate at any time. Following is copy and paste. The background and the rest of it is white (previously it was the home page, now i can load the home page but not sign in, same message, i don't know why or what i did that made the home page load). The last three words are on a button.

Your connection is not private

You attempted to reach signin.ebay.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.
    You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.
    Back to safety

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Windows XP has not been supported in over a year. It is no longer a secure operating system.

If you cannot upgrade to another, Ubuntu is free and can be encrypted.

6. secretdefender

The unlocker worked on everyone i wanted to delete but one.

That maybe but that doesn't explain why it's doing it. I checked and there's too many certificates that have expired to list but all of those expire was in 2010 or older. I ran Opera for ebay for years, it just now this year quit. Those expired would have nothing to do with it, it's more likely some kind of spying malware etc. type problem that my software i use isn't picking up. Only thing i haven't run are the advanced tools like hijack this and superantispyware. Spybot has picked up some registry errors that i need to post to see what i can delete, one or more of those was not safe and made me computer not boot but it's fixed after a system restore.

According to the link it just affects google and yahoo owned. The only thing i use is yahoo mail but it's more or less annoymous email i don't care if someone does something with that or not. Straight to mail.yahoo.com no place else. When i go it does not pick up any extra spy or malware than what i usually get.

7. secretdefender

Hijack This was just a example i used. Software like that i would not use, i'm not a expert, i know some things but nothing advanced.

I know about those links, the one i don't have yet is superantispyware. I have deleted registry errors in Spybot and was fine until about 2 or 3 weeks ago on that update, as i said i will post to see what is safe. Ccleaner i have and other software and some not listed that is useful including a old free adware that picks up something that all others miss that must be removed, i know for a fact that particular file it finds can sometimes slow my browser or make it not load; odd it never finds anything else.

I don't know if i do or not have something else i'm just guessing that could be a problem with Opera. A internet search reveals just date and time solution.

Thanks.

8. secretdefender

iobit unlocker removed internet explorer, microsoft frontpage, movie maker, msn gaming zone, outlook express folders and all files inside i could not delete (everything that was included when XP was installed) but after i turned the computer off and then next day turned it on all of these folders returned with subfolders inside them but there's absolutely no files inside in any folder. I have turned on showing hidden files. Why is this?

9. secretdefender

I understand you say cannot be removed. I'm just letting you know that none of those programs i listed is listed in the add/remove list. It may have never been there or i may have clicked remove and the program was removed from the list.

Good program you mentioned anyway, it removed the other problems. At least it's just the folders and no files inside.

10. secretdefender

As soon as i read the add remove reply i checked it out. All of the programs i mentioned are either not listed or already unchecked.

I already ran malwarebytes and i had removed everything. Everything from that was safe to delete. Running it again when i ran spybot again so i could have a log to upload, nothing. I have ccleaner plus 2 other safe registry cleaners (registry fixer and wise registry cleaner old versions, each one finding different keys, newer versions of wise software is not to be trusted wish i had kept wise cleaner, future upgrades of that suck, maybe you know where i could get version 1, sites like old version doesn't have it) which are more safer than ccleaner. Ccleaner messed me up 1 time the others never. The other registry program i have is a registry defrag.

I have the programs listed in that link most of them and also have ad-ware 2008 no upgrade which finds something that nothing else can that must be removed because it sometimes can slow my browser or make it not load. I know that actual file does it because it was not loading and i didn't have time to run spybot so i just ran ad-ware finds that one file, remove it restarted what i was doing problem fixed.

11. secretdefender

Didn't i just say Spybot or anything else does NOT catch a file that Adware 2008 does? I tested this and it does slow or not load when this particular file has been on my computer for a few days.

The registry cleaners i mentioned catches dozens of errors that ccleaner misses. You are missing out if you use only ccleaner for registry. Just like a hard drive it needs defrag or it will clutter up and may slow down. None of the programs you mentioned is a defrag. The wise cleaner i used to use eons ago picked up files that ccleaner missed and vice versa. 1 program does not catch everything See for yourself and run them side by side, do one than another right after and you'll see.

That's not overkilling when the programs i use catches files i need removed.

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Rather late than never...

Firstly, if you want to remove Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc. for whatever reason, do it before installing Windows XP. nLite has been around for many years and it was written especially for doing that. You can also remove the unnecessary language and keyboard layout files. Likewise, you can add Service Packs, drivers, etc.

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

Secondly, a disk defragmenter in Windows XP is necessary. I ran the built-in Disk Defragmenter of Windows XP right after installation and fragmentation was over 30%! If the OS is that badly fragmented, it will result in poor performance - especially on an older/slower PC. But, rather use a program like Smart Defrag that will also optimize/compress the files.

As for registry cleaners and defragmenters, they might do a good job but, the performance increase will be negligible simple because the registry is tiny. As a test (Windows 7 Ultimate), I ran Registry Compressor from Tweaking.com. Look at the screenshots after analyses using first Slow and then Better compression.

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner has also been around for many years and will show the exact location of every obsolete filder/folder. If you unhide ALL files/folders you can go to those locations to make sure. Also, it does make a backup prior to cleaning. I suggest you give it a try.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Some registry cleaners will find hundreds of obsolete registry keys/values. Many empty registry keys/values are created by Windows. Deleting them will have no effect on performance and many will be re-created the next time you start Windows.

PS I found Wise Registry Cleaner 1.7 :confused . I am not familiar with the site which is in another language. I will scan it using VirusTotal. If it's safe and you want the link, I will post it.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds