Help in finding FREE driver updates?

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Apr 9, 2015.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I've tried downloading 3 that said they were free, the last was Driver Update, but cannot find a free one. Is there such a thing, or am I asking too much? I know I usually find free this or that, which I don't expect miracles for that price.

Can anyone recommend a MG download that is totally Freeware, no strings attached?

Thanks so much, Denise

2. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

I'm not sure which drivers you need but you should download & try running "Snappy Driver Installer", it'll detect all your hardware that needs drivers & install them all for you in a few clicks. Its a very big file but its worth the wait. You can create a system restore point too before you choose to install the drivers in case something goes wrong, but I've used it twice now with no problems and I think its a well recommended utility. It saved me many hours of searching for drivers!

Hope it helps!

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Unless your computer is exhibiting a problem of some sort it is not generally recommended here to use any driver update program, free or paid for. Before I took that lesson onboard I did experiment with one or two and each time later discovered that something I didn't use every five minutes had stopped working. I now only use drivers I can find on my manufacturer's website or, in the case of non-original equipment, the equipment maker's website.

4. outdoorgal

My audio is out, so I thought it may be the driver. I don't/cant figure out how to find out what's wrong with it. Any suggestions? Appreciate all the help, Denise

I have a Dell Studio 1535. I'm trying to fix it up to use until my newer laptop is back from the Doctors. It runs Vista.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does Device Manager show a problem with the audio device?
    If it does, we need to know whether it's VIA or Realtek (or perhaps something else), and your motherboard model. The easiest is to run Speccy, take a snapshot and post it. The summary info is enough.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Avoid driver programs! They break more things than they fix.

Start here and try the chipset drivers. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/studio-1535/drivers
    Your sound "card" is a chip on the motherboard. Download the Intel mobile chipset driver.

You can also try the Dell diagnostic, which when run might tell you about problems.

Last the audio.

Do one at a time and reboot after installing.

If you still have no sound, it could be that the sound chip is gone. You can buy an external USB connected sound card because sound chips die on laptops.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Seems like I'm late to the party. Everyone was typing and posted before I finished.

7. outdoorgal

Ok guys, I hope this is enough:

Attached Files:

8. Eldon

There's no yellow question or exclamation mark which means the audio device is working. Double-click 1 at a time and see if they are enabled.
    Also, check the volume.

9. outdoorgal

No yellow indicator, says both devices are working properly. Why are there two Joe? Heres some snips:

Attached Files:

10. Eldon

Hang in there. And do the following.
    1. Create a System Restore point.
    2. Open Device Manager, double-click High Definition Audio Device, click Uninstall, click OK.
    3. Then double-click IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, click Uninstall, click OK.
    4. Restart the PC.
    3. The driver(s) should re-install. They are part of Windows.
    4. If they don't or the audio still doesn't work, repeat steps #2 & #3 BUT, instead of Uninstall, click Update Driver.
    If this doesn't work, give the exact make & model of your motherboard and say whether SP2 for Vista is installed.

PS If SP2 for Vista is not installed, do that first before anything else.

11. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

I suggest using Snappy Driver Installer. It's Open Source, free, no adware, no limitations, no premium features.

While most driver updaters tend to suggest as many drivers as possible for bragging rights and have flashy messages designed to give users an unnecessary sense of emergency, Snappy Driver Installer by default errs on the safe side in order to avoid putting users at an additional risk. If you're felling dangerous, you can configure it to pick drivers more aggressively, though.

Instead of downloading all driverpacks(8.5 GB), you can download only "indexes"(8 MB). This way you can use Snappy Driver Installer as a device identifier tool and you'll still be able to download driverpacks that contain needed drivers.

If you're still having trouble getting driver to work, you can attach its log files(from the folder named "logs"), so that I can look into it.

12. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

By default, the expert mode is disabled and the app is easy to use.

However some users are taking advantage of these advanced features and are using Snappy Drivers Installer in ways it wasn't initially envisioned. Its portability, command line arguments, GUI-less mode made it possible to integrate the app into bigger toolsets and automated solutions.

Here's an introductory article:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/10/sn...ks-downloads-and-installs-drivers-on-windows/

13. outdoorgal

As soon as I get all my packing done, I'm moving, I will do this Eldon. Thanks to everyone but I want to try this first;) denise

14. outdoorgal

Ok Eldon,

Did step by step, had to redo once and try the Update driver. I'll attach the messages I got first, then the Belarc Report has all you need;) Denise Thanks again, I am off the storage with another load. I may not get right back on, but will asap;) Denise

Attached Files:

15. Eldon

The good news is both drivers are up to date - images 1 & 2. Don't touch them. Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Once it has finished, click the Sound tab. If it shows No problems found... then IMHO there is a physical problem with the speakers. Obviously I cannot check or help you with that.
    Also, there is a little known update for DirectX that applies to Windows XP, Vista & 7. Download and install it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

This is the redistributable version that you should backup for future use. You may install it on any PC running:

16. outdoorgal

Sorry not to have gotten back to you earlier Eldon, wow, I so appreciate your help:). I only am able to get on maybe once a day for now, but soon things will get back to normal. I will do as you directed, and understand (even suspected) it could be a shot speaker;) and am surprised that you don't do "house-calls" lol;) Denise

17. outdoorgal

The audio just popped on during a game I was playing last night. It wasn't really loud, but it did come on and stay on. I will still run the DirectX Eldon. I'll let you know what my findings are, thank you again, Denise

18. Eldon

I hate it rolleyes when that happens. Something must either work, or not work. I neglected to say, one way to check whether the speakers are working (or not), is to plug in earphones or headphones. If they work, then the speakers are shot.

I'm considering the house calls thing... because of the time difference, when I get to your place, I'll be a day younger! roflmao

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds