PC Freezing Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by netsurfer, Jun 9, 2007.

1. netsurfer

netsurfer Private First Class

I bought another 512MB stick of ram last week. I noticed a difference the first day, but now my pc has just been freezing up randomly; sometimes my computer will not start up, I'll just see my desktop background until I restart my computer (often multiple times). My computer will freeze up when I try to load any program, if I wait for 5 minutes - the program will load and everything will run fine.

Is there anything that could be causing this?

2. TheSaintOfPain

TheSaintOfPain Private First Class

It could be some sort of incompatibility issue, since I assume it only started after you installed the RAM stick. Try taking the stick out, and running it that way. If it runs fine, then it's probably the RAM. Although, there is the off-chance that the RAM may have damaged something when you tried to use it, as well. But you still need to, since you already suspect the RAM, take the stick out, and see what happens from there. Post whatever happens after that, and we can take it from there. And also, the more info you give about your comp, (Model, Operating System, Internal Specs, Etc.) the better those of us trying to help can diagnose and fix the problems you're having.

3. netsurfer

I removed the RAM and my computer was definitely running faster, windows booted to idle at least twice as fast.

4. TheSaintOfPain

Sounds like an incompatibility issue, with your brief description. Now, the next thing you need to do is figure out what kinds of RAM you can add, as well as just how much more memory you can, depending on the make of your comp, mother board, BIOS issues, etc. Your best bet on that is to contact the manufacturer of the mother board and/or the comp and take it from there.

5. netsurfer

The mobo manual says I can have a max of 2GB of ram, the speeds are all compatible as well.

6. TheSaintOfPain

Hmmmmm... What brand is the RAM your trying to install, and what comp model and mother board are you trying to install it in? I ask because, through personal experience, for some reason I could never figure out, sometimes a certain brand of hardware wouldn't work with certain mother boards. That may not necessarily be the case, since the mother board manual says it should be compatible with speeds, memory size, etc., but that info can help in diagnosing the problem further.

7. netsurfer

Both the sticks of RAM say AzenRam on them, DDR400 PC3200 512MB.

761GX-M754 mobo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds