alternative to Microsoft Office Excel 2003?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SpecialFNK, Feb 19, 2007.

1. SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK Private First Class

i have a problem and im looking for some help, but lets just stick with this computer question i have LOL

is there an alternative program other than Microsoft Office Excel 2003 to work on spreadsheets?

i recently bought this guide online called RotoAuthority 2007 fantasy baseball guide. it comes via email attachment as a spreadsheet that opens using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.
    the laptop i have i bought a couple years ago and im guessing it came with Microsoft Office Excel 2003 because i never bought it. ive never had to use this program before now, but now when i open it it says i have to set it up and put in the product key number.. problem is i dont know the product key number and dont know where the CD is that came with the laptop in order to possibly find the product key number.
    since this Microsoft Office Excel 2003 came with the laptop and i didnt buy it, would it be a full version or only a trial version?
    i checked the website for the local computer store and they have a 2007 version, but its $899, so i wont be buying that.
    im not looking for a product key number, but is there another program i can download that will open this spreadheet in order for me to use it?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'd recommend OpenOffice which is a freeware office suite that will open MS Office files such as .DOC, .XLS. Should fit the bill.

3. SpecialFNK

damn thats a big file, is there a smaller version maybe in a zip file? or another alternative?
    im only on dial up and that would take hours to download. my dial up thing automatically disconnects me after 6 hours and i think 96mb would take me longer than 6 hours to download.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, you could order it on CD-ROM or, download it using their download manager which would allow you to disconnect while downloading.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh!

Alternatively, if you do not need to EDIT the spreadsheet, you might be able to open it using the free Microsoft Excel 2003 Viewer

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As an outside the box suggestion and if you have a Gmail or Google account, they have a nice new option to View/Edit and Print Excel docs and Word Docs online http://docs.google.com/

Its not perfect but works when you dont have or need a large office application, tho I do think that Mada's sugestion of Open Office is well worth the trouble of downloading.

7. SpecialFNK

thanx for the help.

is there a better download manager to use?
    FlashGot is better?
    i was reading some and another one i see is Free Download Manager, is that one good?
    and with a download manager, you can download some of the file, then pause it, and resume it again at another time from where it left off?

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Flashgot is a waste of space IMHO its not a download manager but a download managers > manager, never seen the point of this add-on at all.

Best to use Free Download Manager, Leechget or Orbit download managers are good. Yes so long as the server used supports resume then yes you can stop then start the download from the last place.

As Mada mentions and links to Open Office have their own downloader for that software if your going to get Open Office.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds