Not infected! Just have a question about malware protection

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete22, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

I am setting up a new computer. I am limited to free programs to do this.

As far as Memory resident malware protection I know I should only have one.

Not sure about two programs

If I use winpatrol do I still need teatimer? I am not sure they do the same thing.

Could someone clear this up for me.

If they do the same thing then I would prefer to use winpatrol, unless told otherwise.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Pete22

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Best to forget about TeaTimer. Uses too much resources.
    What are the System specs that you are working on?
    Windows has a built-in memory manager, but I preferred FreeRam before I upgraded my own system.
    SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and SpywareBlaster together should keep you out of trouble.They work for me.

4. Pete22

It told me what I needed to know. Thanks.

Wondering if you want to update it to sp3 from sp2?

Pete22

5. Pete22

Hello Harlow,

Thank you for telling me about FreeRam. I would like to use it. Does it turn off the built-in memory manager? You don't use FreeRam anymore?

As far as specs. I'm currently working on 2 emachines 625 XP pro sp 3, has 3 AMD Athlon Processor TF-20, 1.60GHz, 2.75 of RAM.

I have also been pressed into service to help my friends, I'm not geeky, but I am willing to try. I am really almost over my head, but I am trying to swim as fast as I can. ;)

Reading the messages on this site has really helped me.

So the specs change with each computer. Some have a little as 512m of Ram. I am trying to get them to upgrade to 1200m. Two have Windows 7. Most have XP of some sort. One has Vista Premium.

I have been putting on PC tools Firewall, Avg, Winpatrol, and SpywareBlaster and AdvancedSystemCare on each computer for the nongeeks to use everyday. And then Smart defrag once a week.

I have been using Teamviewer to monitor my friends computers; to do updates and use SAS, MB, CCleaner, Glary Utilities, Spybot and Secunia PSI about every two weeks. Is that overkill?

SOME of my friends refuse to update anything. I am trying to get THOSE to change to Linux.

You said you use SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and SpywareBlaster together and that works for you. Do you use the free versions of the first two? and do you run them every day?

Pete22

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I use the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol. Update and run once a week.
    I also prefer Comodo firewall, Avira AntiVir, and UltimateDefrag (FreeDomainVersion) over your choices.
    Don't use FreeRam now since I found out (by using it) that I only use 1/2 or less of my RAM.
    Try to get your friends to install a minimum of 1GB of RAM in their machines. Will be much better for it.
    I also use WinPatrol to cut back on the Startup listing for a slight performance gain.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds