Are Hard Disks Obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ItsWendy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

2. Soeperman

Soeperman Private E-2

100 times faster.. Hmm, drewl drewl..
    A bit expensive though.

Give it a year or two and then buy one I guess.

Soeperman

3. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

I read about these about a year ago and the price then was in the thousands$$ for a drive. So as we all know the prices will drop like a rock once in serveice. But the article was awesome. I am in the electrical field and solid state has been the way to go for a long time. Combine that with the potential "nano" projects out there, and one day I fully expect your super pc to be only a monitor(with cpu and memory built in), a keyboard, and a mouse. No more bulky cases to deal with. Even to the point of just having a slot on the side of the monitor for a removable HD like our flash cards now, no HD installed. Just take yours from old machine to new machine in seconds. The future is bright. The only question is are we ready for it?

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

A SSD huh? lol i think is was in 2001 i heard that the newest super computer would store things on a laser. what ever happen to that?

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Actually I think it could still happen. If I come across the article I'll post the link here, but they have solved the Write Once Read Once problem. Formerly data encoded in a crystal with lasers was distroyed when read, but they solved the problem by using a different laser color to read the data encoded within.

Combined with DLP mirrors, the amount of potential storage within a crystal is staggering. I figure it could easily exceed 10 terabytes, probably a lot more, and faster. Technically the DLP arrays are moving parts, but since they are micromachines they are MUCH faster than a spinning platter and moving heads, and are completely random access to boot.

It's always nice to have two technologies that can do similar things. They'll probably end up complimenting each other somehow.

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Actually we're coming full circle. The early machines WERE just a keyboard and a monitor. OK, I exagerate slightly, there was also the cassette drive and power supply on the floor.

Unless they can get their act together on OSes and data compatibility I don't see being able to swap your data that easily, and everyone wants to set the standards.

7. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Wow.. of course, I remember a couple years ago reading about how they were going to make the terabyte peat moss storage unit also... actually, it was a gelatin based off something in peat moss I thnk, but it was instable as heck. Wonder whateve happened to that?

~C

8. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I never heard about that. The crystal medium I heard about was quartz, I think. You sure are seeing a lot of glass with images burned within nowdays.

9. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

I don't know because I have been reading lately the Vista is probably the last OS release from Microsoft because so many people are using on line services for data, excel types, word processing. There really are quite a bit of free services out the that render paying for MS versions obsolete.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds