Mattress Mambo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gman863, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Mattress marketing is some of the biggest pile of bull poo your ever likely to come across, its as bad as cereal.

Springs and foam,that's all they are and have been made that way for a century,I'm not saying there aren't good and bad ones but they're not gonna change your life as advertised.

Ever see Penn and Teller BS? They did a full half hour episode on the sleep industry,bed and mattress marketing,

On youtube,contains little language at the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KREkwkmRLBs

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also been a lot lately about watching and downloading movies.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Oh no!

I wish I hadn't studied that page, it's gonna get my household staff pretty mad at me by this time next week :mad

Hmm, maybe it's time for a change of faces around here anyway.

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I wasted over five years of my life doing sales and IT for a major furniture store chain (I guess that's why I found this web link to be especially funny). To say mattress ads and sales pitches are bull:***t is an understatement.

1. The industry is loaded with PMs (push money, a.k.a. bribes) on higher-priced mattresses. If a salesperson can talk you up from a $500 mattress to a $2000 one, he/she makes 4x the commission PLUS an extra $100 spiff from the mattress mfr.

2. On traditional spring mattresses, once you hit a mfrs' signature line (e.g. Sealy Posteurpedic, Simmons Beautyrest, etc), the springs will be practically identical. What adds hundreds to the price are the funky sounding top layers (memory foam, cashmere, etc.) that do little if anything to enhance comfort.

3. Trying to get a manufacturer to honor a "10 year warranty" when the mattress starts sagging is the RMA from Hell. Unless you have an ally at the store you bought it from who can beat up the mattress rep., your odds of success are about the same as a pick three lottery game.​

Now that I think about it, buying a mattress is a bit like bad sex: Getting bent over by the salesperson without any candy, flowers or K-Y jelly. :-D

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

roflmao We saw this study the other day.

I have a Tempurpedic. It makes me happy every time I get in it.

Not sure about my husband though. :-D

7. Ken K

Ken K Private E-2

There are so many mattress types on the market it is hard to decide which mattress is good for you. Age, weight, and type of chronic pain all have an impact on what type of mattress will be the best for your situation. I ended up doing a lot of research and went with a Duxiana mattress. They are pricey, but worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds