Strange one Boots in normal mode but not safe mode ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denaus4, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Guys

I have a strange problem with my computer, I installed some updates and also Eset smart security 5 the other night and Eset had some problems with the install. When i tried to go into safe mode to uninstall eset it would not let me and keeps rebooting.

In an effort to try to get safe mode to work i went into msconfig and set it too boot in safe mode, this was a bad idea and turned the boot into a repeating loop and would not run. I then tried sys restore, sys repair then tried boot to last know working config and it worked, so i uninstalled Eset then went back to normal boot.

Eset installed fine and my computer seems to be running ok, maybe a little slow, but it still won't start up in safe mode if i try.

Could someone provide some advice ? I also ran chkdsk/r and it did not make any difference.

I have also been getting a flew blue-screens, seems to be when using Firefox

Dell laptop
    i7 quad core
    win 7 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi There I have eset up and running fine now, but my computer will still only work in normal mode and wont boot up in safe mode :(

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Denaus4...

That is a strange problem. Try this: run msconfig and open the 'Boot' tab - in the 'Boot options' section are the 'Safe boot' choices presented, and if so can you select any of them (try 'Minimal' if possible)?

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

6. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Caliban / Nick

I was able to set msconfig to boot in safe mode (minimal) but when i did that i was unable to get it to boot at all. It would just go to the login screen for about 5 seconds and then reboot again, and kept repeating that.

If I install the bootsafe will it give me the option at startup to select which mode to boot in or is it in the windows that i need to select, i am a little scared to try it in case it wont boot and i cant change it back to normal mode.

Cheers Lachie

7. Caliban

Are you familiar with the Registry Editor? If so, please navigate to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot -- is the SafeBoot key there, along with the Minimal and Network subkeys? Don't do anything to them -- I just want to know if they have been deleted or not.

8. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Caliban, i think it is there but below is a screenshot of it attached to this post.

Cheers Lachie

Attached Files:

9. Caliban

Yeah, that looks ok. Weird.

You don't have any Nero programs installed, do you? I've read that some buggy Nero versions produce the 'no Safe Mode boot' symptom.

10. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Caliban

No don't have any Nero programs, it has really got me beat and i cant find too much info on others that have had the same problem either.

11. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

12. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

13. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Dr Moriarty

run the tweaking program with no luck.

I notice that when i try to boot in safe mode it is stopping at the file CLASSPNP before it goes to the login screen ,don't know if that has anything to do with it?

14. dr.moriarty

Tried booting into Windows 7 install DVD's recovery console, then running "sfc /scannow"?
    Checked your hard drive and motherboard 's SATA ports for dust/corruption?

15. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Dr

I ran SFC in normal mode and found nothing, Tried using a recovery CD and ran sys repair with no difference, can get it to run in normal mode fine but as soon as i try safe mode it all goes pear shaped.

Do you think SFC may work differently through the recovery disk ?

All ports are clean too

16. dr.moriarty

You might need an un-corrupted Classpnp.sys file from the DVD... IF that is the cause of the problem.

17. dr.moriarty

NOTE:
    We have also seen malware cause this failure to boot into Safe Mode.

*Check your Private Messages

18. Caliban

Good morning...

Be careful: if I'm not mistaken if you're seeing "Classpnp.sys" on your screen as the last entry on the load list, then that's the last file that Windows loaded successfully during the Safe Mode boot process - not the file that the loading process is hanging on. In other words don't be fooled into thinking that "Classpnp.sys" is the problem file - I think that might be misleading.

I do concur with dr.moriarty's malware suggestion.

19. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Caliban i think you are right with classpnp.

As for Malware

I had to remove some Malware about 6 months ago now that had infected my computer, It has been running fine since then but i don't think that i have tried it in safe mode since then though. Would it be possible that there are some corrupted/missing files from that removal?

I have run all the system checks and also HDD checks, nothing is found by any of them.

I have been running malware bytes pro and Eset smart security 5 since i removed the malware and using regular scans.

Thank you all for the help so far!

20. Caliban

Curiouser and curiouser. Did you ever run the SUPERAntiSpyware boot safe option? If not, you might try that just to see what it looks like.

If I were you I'd still go through the Malware Removal Forum's Read & Run Me First thread and post the logs - sure they will probably be clean, but a fresh perspective from Dr. M and/or the other gurus there might help.

Which leads me to another thought: seems as if the common denominator in this thread is that Eset Smart Security 5 software. Why not disconnect from the internet, uninstall that program again, run the SFC and see if you get any new Safe Mode symptoms? Shot in the dark - but that's what we're all doing at this point.

21. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Caliban

Ran all the logs and have them posted up in the malware section, looks like i might have something.

I'll see what response i get and then i might try super anti spyware function.

Cheers!

22. Caliban

Sounds good - when I get a chance, I'll look through the logs also...good luck!

23. Werks

Werks Private E-2

Did you ever resolve this problem? I saw you take it through Malware Removal with no luck. From what I can tell I have the exact same thing. System is clean, and even tried the Tweaking reg fix. Any guidance would be appreciated.

24. Denaus4

Denaus4 Private E-2

Hi Werks

I tried a couple of reg fixes and ran all the malware instructions to make sure it was clean and nothing was found.

My computer is working fine but i am still unable to boot up in safe mode, would love to fix it but have had no luck so far.

25. Werks

Werks Private E-2

Denaus4,
    I did the same thing, and my machine seems healthy but in Safe Mode I get a black screen, the cursor with progress wheel, and if I move around I can sometime see the Safemode in the corners.
    I tried the tweaking.com reg fix
    Safemode.reg for 8.1
    sfc /scannow [Actually manually fixed a module, but it made no difference.]
    ran "bcdedit /set advancedoptions true" so every time I boot I can test safemode, but no luck yet. Also ran the new driver cleaner to make sure nothing was left from an old NVIDIA card which was in before the AMD card.
    I really thought that was going to get it fixed . . but no.
    I guess with restore points and image backup I.m fairly safe. I think think theres a new update for 8.1 on Monday, so there's some hop there

26. kench

kench Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds