Cannot Play .avi Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom K, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hello,
    I have been trying to play a video which is in the .avi file format, and Windows Media Player could not play it. I recalled that Quicktime is the choice often used to play these file types, so I downloaded the latest version. Not only was the audio choppy, there was no video whatsoever and I was told that I would need the latest download :confused: Well, I had just downloaded the latest version :eek: So I went to check for updates, and was instead re-directed to a page with about ten choices from which to choose from :mad: And this isn't the first time this happened to me with Quicktime, either. After all this, I just uninstalled Quicktime and their I-Tunes add-on, and shredded all the remaining components.

Has anyone else had this problem with playing .avi files, and is there a good .avi player available? I tried using both Real and WMP, but could not play the file. I really appreciate any help here. Thanks guys for your assistance.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

VLC Media Player is the best player I've ever come across. It has all the codecs you could ever need built in. Just open your file, and it will play. I haven't encountered a single video I couldn't play with this puppy.

4. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hello bjgarrick and Mada_Milty,
    Thank you both for the suggestions! :). I installed the VLC Media Player and it has had no problem playing the files. Thank you very much.

5. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Happy to hear you can play them now. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds