Norton & RAM Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by dmmcintyre, Feb 3, 2004.

1. dmmcintyre

dmmcintyre Private E-2

I have 2 questions:

1 - I have Norton Corp v7.51. I recently networked two pc's together via router hub. One pc is running XP (P3 450mhz, 192 ram) and the other is running 98 (P4 ?mhz, 640 ram). Is there a way that I can use the Norton Antivirus that is installed on the XP machine and run a virus scan via network on the 98 machine. The 98 machine can not have a virus scan program on it because this pc is used strictly for online nascar racing. When I open explorer, I can see the 98 machine, but when I open Norton and want to tell it what drive to scan, I can't see the 98 machine.

2 - Before upgrading to XP, I was able to right click "my computer", open properties and go to performance and see the percentage of ram that was avail. Now that I have XP, I know where to go to see this info, but can't understand a lick of it. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that over the last month or so, my machine seems to be running slower. I installed XP about 6 months ago. If I could understand this info, than maybe I might be able to figure out what to do to help my pc run faster.

Any help out there?

Thanks,
    D

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

I would install x-teq.
    Get it here at Major Geeks

There are many settings that can be changed. One biggie is to enable UDMA/66 under the Hardware-Harddisk section. There are many more. But be careful. You can also choose Record mode under File. That will help revert settings back to default.

Also, remember to run chkdsk and defrag.

Another great little tool I've been using is Tuneup Utilities.
    Get it here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds