State License Ordeal... All This To Carry a Concelaed Gun...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Whew, took the 9 hour class ($100) Got NRA basic shooting qualification certified. ALL my shots were qualifying hits! :-D

Now I just need an FBI fingerprint job done, a passport photo, a few court documents (notarized copies). A couple of other things notarized, and a fee to the state.

Once I send it off, I get to wait up to 120 days... ;) I love government run things. :-D

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

My state only Police or retired Police can carry, CC or otherwise

IL sucks....

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We can all open carry here, I am getting the CCL so I can keep a loaded gun when I visit the 37 states that respect my permit. :-D

Interesting factoid, if you have a gun and are traveling through Texas, you must have the ammo seperate from the weapon! IN TX! Unless you have a CCL, then you can just toss the loaded gun under your seat, or on the passenger seat, or on your person. ;)

4. Samardin

Samardin Private E-2

5. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

"Here is an article we wrote on the subject".

Who is we? As in some names, please don't hide....

6. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Have a look at the signature of the poster.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My brother just applied for his shotgun license in over here 'England' he doesn't really want a shotgun he wants a rifle but they reject 95% of all applicants unless they already have a shotgun license:confused

To get this license or FAC 'Fire Arms Certificate' You need no criminal record and no history of mental illness.You must first have a place to shoot which must be private land such as a farm it CANNOT be a gun club and the land has to be ticketed for the caliber of weapon you wish to shoot on it i.e you can't use a .50 on 100 square feet of land.You then need to purchase a Gov approved gun safe which must have two keys and be bolted to the wall from the inside.

He will have to wait about 2-3 months at which time a police officer will come round to his house, interview him,check out the gun safe and teach him about gun safety,only after having this license for a while 'I'm not sure how long' can he then apply for a rifle certificate.

Pistols are banned COMPLETELY over here let alone carrying one around on your person,our Olympic pistol shooting team has to go abroad to European countries to practice:-D 'No Joke'

From where I'm sitting Fred you have it great:-D

EDIT TBH I don't know why anyone needs to carry a hidden gun around all the time unless they are a cop,I'm sorry Fred I just had to say it:( Maybe in Iraq or Beirut but the US?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, when the criminals start obeying the laws of the land, I will be less likely to feel the need for a sidearm. :-D

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I am so distraught! Which idiot disturbed your rights Fred?rolleyes

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nobody yet. Who is the idiot? And I am sorry for you becoming distraught!

:-D

And Augie, let's try to stay on topic.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I vote for closing this thread, as it tends towards political opinion. We all have our personal rights, and such. Peace to all that posted. ;)

12. Rikky

Thats why I apologised in advance for mentioning it,its just a passing comment.

Fair enough anyway,more criminals need blasting.

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Not from me sir. I have an interest in keeping this thread open for fair discussion. I know that I don't agree with your views but I'm not bashing you either. Unless you take an .AK47 out on a squirrel.:p:-D What's the recipe?:drool

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It will obviously become political Fred as there are many varied opinions about concealed weapons, this in no way means they are slamming you personally.

For my 10 cents worth, i have reservations about citizens having concealed weapons just for the fact that if you have the weapon you may just use it.

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, I don't belive in 'blasting' criminals. I don't own an AK47, and you might be surprised at how crime is reduced when law abiding citizens are armed. And the CCL is for handguns, not long guns. ;)

And Bill, do you somehow hold the criminals with guns to a higher standard? "For my 10 cents worth, i have reservations about citizens having concealed weapons just for the fact that if you have the weapon you may just use it." That logic is not good. By the same token, If I have a car, I might run over a pedestrian, so we should not have cars. Or a match... If I have a match, I might start a fire and burn down a hotel full of people.

Now, if I get my CCL, I will have to prove I am not a convicted felon, subject myself to around 53 pages of additional rules that I must abide by when carrying a gun, submit to a drug test if asked, plus I payed $100 to take a required 9 hour course on basic gun safety, and qualify shooting on a range. I also get to pay to enter my fingerprints into the AFIS system. So, If I committed a crime and they have my prints... Does your average violent criminal undergo the same things?

In all honesty, I will rarely carry a gun on my person. I really want it so I can keep a loaded gun in my car when I travel in my state, and the 37 other states that reciprocate. Did you know that in Texas, you must unload your gun, and store it separate from your ammo? IN TEXAS? Heck I thought they gave you a gun at the border. :-D But, with a CCL, I can keep a loaded gun in my vehicle or on me.

And sorry Augie, while squirrel hunting is popular, I would use a rifle or shotgun to shoot them, but I don't eat tree rats. ;)

16. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm leaning towards it, Fred.

Everyone keep in mind that we no longer have a Hot Topics forum.;)

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The second amendment ranks alongside religion and politics in that it tends to bring out strong emotions.

I will let this one go.

18. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Lets stick to licensing :)
    In India the idea is to get a 12 gauge licensed. Then after a while apply for a hand gun.
    I inherited a .32 Mauser from my grand dad.
    Lets not even get into the details, but I got the all India license. Can carry it loaded.

I just can't get my self to carry it:-D Would feel obnoxious, if i did:-D
    I don't even look at the damned thing. Prolly, need to get it cleaned and oiled.

Cheers.

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am pretty much out on this one as well. ;)

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting non HBT twist. Out of curiosity, if you get a 12 guage license, does that apply to any 12 ga. you wish to buy, or do you get a license for each gun? Could you say buy a 16 guage with that license?

And is the license to own/possess, or is it to own, carry and use the weapon? Is getting the required license easy or a major ordeal?

In my part of the US, you simply fill out a form, and they do a background check on you, (you do have to be 21 or older, and a felony and a few other violations will prohibit purchase) and you pay for your gun and leave. Open carry is also legal here, so with nothing more than a simple background check, you can strap on your Glock and go to the Wal Mart. :-D

We can also buy guns on the interweb, but they have to be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensed individual or company. Then you pay them a fee for a background check, and off you go. Unless it is considered an antique... Then you can buy say a WW1 M1 Garand, have it shipped to your home, I think most require an adult signature.

Interesting how countries and even states in the US have different gun laws. Like in my state, my vehicle is an extension of my home, so I can have a loaded gun under my seat without any kind of permit. But I am told that is not so in Texas... Unless you have the concealed carry license. The CCL in my state is valid in around 37 states in the US. I know a few gun owners who will not enter any of the non-gun friendly states.

This non-controversial thread was brought to you by coffee. :-D:cool

21. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Here's the strange lacuna. If the hand gun is inherited/willed, you skip the shot gun license.
    As for 12 ga & 16 ga once one get the "12" just add the additional bore, on the same license, but permission to purchase has to be mentioned on the original papers!! Yeah, more red tape.

We really don't have it good here LOL
    Bore for a hand gun is restricted to .32

A couple of my gun crazy friends go nuts looking at whats available in the states. At a price that's ridiculous. They drool on the net. My 30 yr old Mauser can sell for maybe 3000 USD In India. You'd prolly offer 50USD, going by the catalogs on the net.LOL

Simply because only Indian ordinance can be purchased as per law. Only MP's,Ministers etc VIP's can bring in a weapon from abroad. And these get flogged at ridiculous prices.
    A regular non branded 1000$ piece may fetch 10k USD.

Cheers..

22. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

sikvik...the answer is simple...import arms illegally.

23. Rikky

That's the first thing I said to my brother "I said what are you getting and under over double or side by side double?"

"No a Pump!":-D Yup 7+1 semi!

I said to him get a Spas 12 :-D I looked it up when I got home and after a quick check you do need a different license for a semi auto shotgun.

Not sure about the Cartridge size though.

24. Rikky

Haha! Found the offending piece of legislation!

In the UK you can have an auto or semi auto shotgun but it can't have more than a 2 round magazine.

Only after having a shotgun certificate can you then apply for an FAC,which as far as I can tell you can own large bore shotguns and semi/auto shotguns.

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Wow Sikvik and Rikky, that is depressing. Only 2 rounds in your shotgun? No handguns larger than .32? :cry My scattergun holds 6+1.

Some fun guns you can buy in America:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&sa=X&ei=KhjGTPyhOIKClAeQ74UD&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAQ

http://www.deserteaglepro.com/category/396-Desert_Eagle_50_Caliber.aspx

LoL, just a little bit bigger than a .32...

Note to self, do not even consider moving to the UK or India. I did score a great deal on some 25 round 6.8SPC mags and some inexpensive 10 round mags for the 5.56 AR's. Rikky, I am guessing assault rifles with 25-40 round mags are frowned upon?

One of these days I will get me a .458 SOCOM... 600 grain bullet, around 2,000 FPS. :drool

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&sa=X&ei=zxnGTNjvE4L6lweW6-gE&ved=0CCgQ9QEwBQ

I love America, while it does have some political aspects I don't always agree with, I can order any of the above guns on the interweb, have them shipped to my local FFL dealer, and fill out one piece of paper, and take them home with me. Don't see the point in a .50 cal handgun though.

26. Rikky

No Fred you can only have semi auto .22 rimfire rifles,any calibers over that have to be single shot/bolt action.Interestingly you can buy and own a .50 rifle such as a single shot grizzly or the single shot Barrett rifle but again you have to have land big enough to use it which is sensible really,you need at least 1-2 miles of open land away from the public to use such a rifle,that kind of land is hard to come by over here we only have a small island.

I hate England's fire arms law they are far too restrictive,we have the most restrictive laws in Europe probably the world I dunno and its single events that have caused these laws to be passed,in the heat of emotion just after a nutjob has run through a school shooting children the liberals scream foul and the politicians pass legislation that would seem over kill at any other time.It is sad IMO the way our country has gone,anything that is dangerous at all gets banned by the safety police.

The ban has definitely made the UK safer its just a lot less fun.

I want to start up a new organisation called the Leisure police,we fight for the rights of the British public who've had their fun past times taken away by the safety police.:major

Damn I sound like a conservative,well I do turn 31 this year its about that time.:)

EDIT you can have a normal auto shotgun eventually in the UK but just not with a shotgun license,you have to get your FAC and already have a shotgun license.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good grief! No offence to your country Rikky, but dang! I would love to visit England and India. Of course my lack of cash, and the fact that I don't like to be more than 10 feet off the ground would be a problem.

Wow, well, thanks for the info, is interesting to see how other countries allow, or do not allow people to own/use guns. I would not make it in India or the UK, guns are just ingrained into me I guess. No offense meant to the respective countries or citizens there. You have your laws, I have mine.

Got the innards for another AR-15 rifle today. Just waiting for the site to have the lower on sale and in stock again, then I just need a mag tube, buffer and spring...

They say AR-15's are really rabbits. I believe now. :p

28. Rikky

None taken it sucks!:-DIts usually me ripping on the way the US does things so its a nice change eh?Rip away.

With respect to the handgun ban over here,the ban came into effect because of the dunblane incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

The problem was the shooter had legally obtained pistols so by the polititians logic that meant the only way to stop this happening again would be a blanket ban on all handguns.I remember reading a statistic that there were around 50,000 registered handgun owners,people who's pastime/hobby was shooting handguns at the range at obviously paper targets as you had to be a member of a gun club to own one.

So because of ONE mans actions "EDIT 57,000" people lost their hobby.

And the interesting thing is it hasn't stopped madmen going on rampages duh!Not long ago a similar incident happened but the shooter just used shotguns and rifles and he killed just as many people,again they started screaming for a blanket ban on those too but luckily the gov saw the light and actually said lets not take action or write legislation while we're in the heat of imotion right after the incident,which was what should have happened after Dunblane.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/02/cumbria-shootings-slaughter-countryside-derrick-bird

Note this is only the third massacre of this type over here in 23 years,I think that actually shows how sane us British are:) and is all the more reason to relax the gun laws,if there were no guns I'm sure a nutjob would just run intoa school with a sword and start chopping people up or something.

Guns will never be banned over here,there are too many rich people who enjoy shooting and farmers who actually need them.

I love guns too its in my blood I've owned them all my life from being a single digit kid.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  29. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

AK-47 is not overkill against squirrels. It's a fair chance. (They're hard to hit.)

.50 handgun is dangerous even unloaded. Just whack them with it and they'll go down. :-D

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Not going to 'rip' on your country. Just shake my head... I won't go far on this, but 'gun control' has always confused me. Let's see, it is illegal to assault or murder someone. But, unfortunately, some people will do it anyway. So they pass more laws to make it more illegal? :confused

Triaxx, I think the AR platform is generally more accurate, but using a high caliber round would not leave much meat. Most folks around here hunt the little tree rats with shotguns. Also, since dove and quail seasons are often on at the same time as tree rat season, you can do more hunting. ;)

31. Rikky

Well this is my reasoning on the subject:

If you ban guns there's less chance of people being shot by a gun it just makes logical sense but you can analogise it to any other activity.

If you ban car racing there's less chance of someone being in a car accident.

If you ban alcohol there's less chance people will be involved in alcohol related violence.

In each instance sure we'll be safer but everyone would go crazy because lots of people love cars and lots of people love drinking.Unfortunately people over here who enjoy shooting as a pastime are in the minority so they they have no chance.

You know just because the stat's say we'll be safer if we ban something doesn't mean its right or fair.

32. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

@Fred: I was joking. A .22, or .410 is more than enough for the job.

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

34. Rikky

Here's mine the .416,it has better ballistic performance than the .50 BMG.

Even though the round is smaller it stays super sonic much longer,after couple of hundred yards the round has more energy than the .50BMG,it can fire a 400grain round at 3,250 ft/s faster than a NATO 60 grain 5.56 round,it stays supersonic out to a mile and a half so anything over a couple of hundred yards and it has more muzzle energy than the .50 BMG

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.416_Barrett#Muzzle_velocity

EDIT kind of sad that I know so much about these rifle yet I've never shot one.

35. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

If we're after guns with more muzzle velocity than they know what to do with, the .950 Nitro express, which is a Necked Down 20mm casing.

Thank you and good night. ;)

36. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting. Maybe I will get two tree rat rifles.

This makes a compelling argument to me to get the .50 first. (from your wiki link) "Legality

A few jurisdictions in the United States, most notably California as well as a few nations such as Australia, Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands restrict or prohibit civilian ownership of rifles chambered to use the .50 BMG cartridge, but not the .416 Barrett."

Holy bejeebus! Some of those are $9-$10K :cry Just for kicks I should print out some of that data, and show it to my banker, telling her I need a personal loan... :-D

Triaxx... that thing has to have custom projectiles made... I need a tree rat gun I can get ammo easily. Of course, the .50 and .416 ain't cheep. $2-$5 a round for the .50, only thing I saw for the .416 Ruger was $56 for 20 rounds.

I think I will get the .50 first, due to ammo availability. Would have to get into reloading for those suckers. I bet you could have a good time working on custom rounds for them.

37. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Oh, sounds great, as long as you are buying! :-D You could probably get an old Civil War style cannon for less. I would like to shoot one of those one day. And an a full auto shotgun. :guns

39. Unbanable

Unbanable Specialist

Actually, that isn't exactly true. I wont go into my political views but I will just say that... being the way I am, I try to to know as much about the law of my state, other states, and the country, as much as possible. Texas is not that gun-friendly, not near as much as it is perceived to be, even by its residents. It's one of the few states in the United States that allows no open carry. Even Cali has open carry, albeit with certain restrictions. I'm also not a lawyer but you can see here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.02 that it is legal to carry a handgun to and in your vehicle, as long as it is concealed, in Texas. I firmly believe that everyone should know their rights, and I firmly support your right to carry a sidearm! :thumbsup: I'd explain more but I gotta run.

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the info. I won't be going to Texas until I get my permit anyway.

That is some crazy stuff. Do they cut off your hands? And you can't use cleaning chemicals in a spray can? That is pretty brutal! :-D

"Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(3) a short-barrel firearm;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) a switchblade knife;

(6) knuckles;

(7) armor-piercing ammunition;

(8) a chemical dispensing device; or

(9) a zip gun."

41. Unbanable

Unbanable Specialist

Yeah some of those are pretty ridiculous. Lol. Some of them are defined elsewhere in the code. Don't tell anyone but [whisper] I carry an "illegal knife" 24/7. You might also find interesting the essentially complete lack of regulations on long guns. I don't have references but i heard that the history behind the handgun regulations is pretty discussing and dates back to the civil war, or shortly after actually of course. And I know you don't plan to since you'll have a concealed carry permit but, just for info, if you did plan on legally carrying without, you'd be best off knowing the statutes well because most cops don't. I actually got called out once in an open carry community for going on the word of a police officer who was wrong. Lol.

42. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yeah, you have to dot your t's and cross your i's when carrying weapons. :-D In Louisiana, I am told if you get a CCL, open carry is frowned on...:confused

43. Bighoss

Bighoss Private E-2

I hope your joking about the knuckles, if not, BRASS KNUCKLES, nuff said. Also, unless you are a cop, or a douche, you have no business with a canon on your hip like it's the Wild West. Open carry stooges claim thier visable weapon deters crime... If I was a criminal I would just take the open carry dweebs weapon and have twice the firepower, as I would have the element of surprise which he pissed away when he left the house dressed like Wyatt. Remember, I have the element of surprise as a criminal with my pistol in my jacket. Oh, If the open carry guy gave me the 'dead cold hands' speech, well, that could be arranged as well. If you have a .50 cal on your hip, and a crook has a junk pistol you don't know about, what you really have is squat and what he has is your ***... Besides, I've got kids in here trying to eat. If you need a gun get a permit to carry consealed. If Texas really requires Joe Citizen to jump through ONE hoop so they can be polite about their carry, than good. If you're a cop, you get a pass, as that is your job, and you (should be) trustworthy as a lawman anyway. Joe Six Pack does not need to be taking hip shots though, so if this is true Texas is ahead of the curve. Also, in this country you can drive at age 16, but you are at least tested for skill. People in the US get to have guns that don't even learn to shoot. Rights come with responibilities folks. I already have to trust the average American with a refined ranged weapon, as such the owner should be a least a decent shot, just like you are supposed to be a decent driver to get on the road. If nothing else they should know dropping the clip on a pistol does not always safe the weapon.

44. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Using a paragraph or two instead on one long one would sure make this easier to read.

And what up with insulting people who may open carry, which is legal in most states? .50 cal handgun? Sure the make 'em, but I bet you most people who legally carry handguns have one in a more manageable caliber.

Who is 'Joe Six Pack', and when did criminals with 'junk guns' become sharp shooters? What is a 'refined range weapon'?

Oh, and welcome to Major Geeks.

45. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

^That cracked me up for some reason. :-D

Ummmm...Bighoss...nice rant for your first post, about guns, on a computer forum, in a two year old thread. rolleyes

46. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

He "over-glocked"

:-D

47. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gotta have the safety engaged on the keyboard. :-D:-D

48. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

OMG are you freakin' KIDDING ME??.... I read all that and it's a 2 year old thread???... numb nuts roflmao

49. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thread date safety fail. Sorry Ned. :major

50. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I kept thinking it was weird because I could have sworn you had talked about carrying before. Never even thought to look at the date. I just thought given the way this type of topic often goes..... and how it nearly went, the amount of posts since this morning seemed ..... normal lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds