XP Thumbnails filenames missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

XP Pro

I have a folder I have created a shortcut on my desktop, I call it PaintCAD (this isn't really important, just background).

When I click on this shortcut I get the folder contents up as thumbnails. It used to have filenames under them, but not any more. I've gone through every properties box, it shows names are selected. In anything else other than thumbnails they are.

Now here is the weird part. I created a new folder, PaintCAD2, and copied the contents over. Names were in there as thumbnails like they used to be. I renamed the first folder PaintCAD to PaintCAD old, and all the names popped up the way they're supposed to be.

I renamed the folder PaintCAD2 to PaintCAD, and all its filenames disappear!

I'm totally confused at this point, and don't have a clue.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not sure WHY this happens, or how to prevent it, but there is an easy fix.

1. Find a folder that WILL show filenames in thumbnail view
    2. Select 'Folder Options' from the 'Tools' menu
    3. On the 'Folder Options' dialog, select the 'View' tab
    4. Press the 'Apply To All Folders' button
    5. Apply your settings

This should correct your problem folder.

There IS a user-changeable setting that has this effect, but I can't recall where it is, and this seems to happen to me a lot, so I question the reliability of this toggle.

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

That did it. I had forgotten that trick. Looked like some kind of corruption overall though, so I'm running a virus scan whilst I type this, which will be followed by the spyware scan.

Thanks guy!

4. jimmyp30

jimmyp30 Private E-2

jimmy, go to my documents, select View>> details, then hold down the shift button, meanwhile select thumbnail view again, the problem will be solved

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds