Upgrading an HP a6228x PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farringa, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Farringa

Farringa Private E-2

Hey all,

Upgrading an HP that was given to me by my sister-in-law. I've built computers in the past, but it's been awhile, and I know a lot has changed (it's been about 3 years since my last upgrade). I'd like to make this into my primary gaming PC, but using the parts from here to keep the cost down.

All I got was the tower, no documentation, so here is what I found on specs:

Asus M2N68-LA
    Athalon 64 X2 5200+
    2x 1 GB of DDR2 PC2-5300
    320 GB Hitachi SATA HDD
    250W Power Supply
    Windows Vista Home Premium

First question: is the Asus M2N68-LA worth keeping? If not, what are we looking at for cost of a new motherboard. Also, I've heard that now Windows Vista can only be installed on the machine that came with it, when they are sold as a bundle. I'm assuming by "machine" they mean per MOBO. Is this true? And if so, I'd rather not change out the mobo, so that I can take advantage of DirectX 10 goodness.

The computer is currently using on-board video, so I know I'll need a new card. Looking up the specs on the mobo, I've found it's PCI-E x16. I was looking at video cards, and was considering an 8800 GT, as they seem to be the best bang for buck card out right now. However, 8800 GT needs PCI-E 2.0, correct? If so, I think I'm out of luck. So, looking for other ideas.

Also, I know I'm going to need a new PSU. Wondering if the PSU from my current rig still holds water. It's a 550W PSU made by Vortec. Not sure on model number, and its in my machine right now, so I don't have access to the nameplate.

Also, 2 GB still enough RAM? I know Vista is a hog... should I move up to 4 GB?

In summation:

Is a new mobo worth it?
    -If so, what kind, and what should I get for a GPU?
    -If not, are there any decent PCI-E x16 cards out there?
    Do I need more than 2 GB of RAM for Vista?
    Vortec 550W PSU w/ 1x 120mm and 1x 80mm fans good enough?

Thanks for any and all help provided.

Andrew

2. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 Private E-2

if you switch out mobos on factory pcs the bundled embeded windows, it usually dies with it. if you buy your own disc you can swap it.

i switched the family emachines to a newer emachines board made by fic, then ordered the restart cds for that mobo and used my current key. (ill be sure if im good to go tonight)

my mobo is still outdated compared to what you are running, cant imagine buying new windows to replace a board that new, but maybe im not that hardcore.

by chance if you do drop me a line ill gladly buy up what you have (with the software of course)

250 watts not enough 550 seems good to me. 2gb is good for me but im on xpdont know on vista i see alot with 4. do you have 4 slots or 2? if you only have 2 slots id say its your call to ditch what is free

if you have a generic pc you probably have a pretty crapy heat sink. i always swap them out with some big pile of copper off ebay, cheap 10-30 bucks

if im wrong about anything feel free to correct me

3. Farringa

Farringa Private E-2

It has four slots, so I can just stick in another 2x GB sticks.

I wouldn't replace Windows. I have XP, and I would just install that instead of using Vista... but if the board is ok, I'll just keep it so I can use Vista. Just wanted to know if it was junk or not. Seems like it will be ok. Good tip on the heatsink, but I have a spare that I'm going to use.

I'll probably take a wait-and-see approach on the RAM, and upgrade it later if need be.

So, looking to see if an 8800 GT will work on PCI-E x16 (I don't think it does...), and if it not, looking for a good PCI-E x16 in the same price range (~150-200). Any suggestions?

4. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 Private E-2

5. Farringa

Farringa Private E-2

6. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 Private E-2

wow aparently im the only one helping you. ddr3 is great that thing looks pretty awesome for the price. try searching it on cnet or the name of the card plus reveiw in google. but be warned people can be pricks about hardware (computer nerds) same with game nerds and gear heads ect. that thing looks pretty tuff for a avid gamer to me

7. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

The pci-e 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with pci-e slots so yes a 2.0 card will work just fine. As far as the power supply goes I would recommend a name brand quality psu.(maybe Antec or PC Power and Cooling)

8. Farringa

Farringa Private E-2

Thanks for your help, everyone. This is what I ended up with:

Thermaltake LAN-Box
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Athalon 64 X2 5200+
    2x 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB (OCed core to 675 MHz and mem to 1950 MHz)
    320 GB Hitachi SATA HDD
    530W Modular PSU
    Windows Vista Home Premium

Thanks again everyone.

Andrew

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds