WooHoo! * 56K warning - pics added *

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AbbySue, Mar 7, 2006.

1. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Got invited to go deep sea fishing and I can't wait!:D Anyone here ever been before? Plan to use plenty of sunscreen so I don't turn into a lobster:eek:...just have one extremely important question...

The ocean is a tad more active than going out on the lake so....any opinions on what is the best thing to take just to make sure I don't hurl and embarrass myself?[​IMG] I've never had motion sickness that I can recall but I don't want this to be the first time either.:(

2. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Re: WooHoo!

I believe I have a remedy for you.....Its ginger tablets! They work the best. Ever watch MYTH BUSTERS? well they proved that a NON-DRUG, can do better that things like Gravol and others. this doesn't mean not to bring it just incase, but please try Ginger Tablets/ Capsules for motion sickness.
    Even Gravol (drug) has come out with non-DRUG- ......"Natural Source Gravol!
    engredients include:
    Ginger root(zinirberofficinale)(extract 1:25)...500 mg(20 mg of liquid extract equivilant to 500 mg ginger dried root)
    I have used this as i get motion sickness easy. It even helpes my pregnant wife on certain days. give it a shot!
    have fun on your outing, and catch a whopper!

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I have also heard of using Ginger tablets for motion sickness, and they are suppose to not have the side effects of the man made motion sickness pills.Worth a shot to go natural.

4. Doc43

Doc43 Private First Class

I have been numerous times out to 120 miles, and I have always taken a box of ritz crackers and started eating them when the engine started. Never got sick. Must be something in the crackers than calms the stomach.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Great news Abby! :D

I have been out alot and only had one instance, exhausted from swimming and got back on the boat and got sick for a few minutes. The thing that helped me the most was just looking out at the horizon and getting away from the diesel fumes. http://www.jimbaughoutdoors.com/SeaSick.htm

Good luck and have a great time. :)

Steve

ps. be sure to get in on the pot in case you do catch a whopper.

6. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I would recommend getting good and drunk before you get on the boat so that you are already swaying. Then when the boat starts swaying you will actually feel as if you are standing completely normal.:D

Actually I have heard the ginger thing before, as well as dramamine.:)

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I think I know you, did you used to live in the Keys? :D

Steve

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You'll have a great time.

I've been, and it's a great day out.

They supply everything and take you to the best spots, and if you've never suffered from seasickness before, you shouldn't now.

If you do, hurl over the side so you can use it for burley. :D

9. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Have been out two times. First time out got so sick that I passed out and did not wake until we docked. The second time I took Dramamine and everytime I felt a little sick I would eat something. Fished the whole time and had a great time.
    You will be fine and have a good time also.
    Like Matacumbie said get in the pool.

10. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Dangle your toes in the water Abby. That should get a bite. :D

I've never had a problem with motion sickness, but the meds and crackers mentioned should help if you need them. Also, if there's a cabin to sit in, and you start getting sickish, get out on deck and watch the waves and the roll of the boat. A large part of vertigo/motion sickness is the fact that your eyes are telling the brain one thing, and your ear's semicircular canals are telling it something else. It helps to SEE what your body is being subjected to.

Have a ball! :)

11. AbbySue

Wow! Great tips & suggestions! Thanks guys!:D

I think I'll definitely give the ginger a try:)...will have to check with my Dr about anything else as I'm not sure if there would be a conflict with my medication or not and I don't want to take any chances there!:eek:

No getting drunk! Ack! LMAO And I'll be sure to not take any bananas to snack on so the captain doesn't have a fit per the article Steve linked too. :D

I have never been out on the ocean at all in a boat so that is why I'm concerned about getting sick. Been out on the lake back home more times than I can count but there's a big difference between the two. Just wish my dad could fly down here and go fishing with me...I'm sure he'd love going out there and catching some big fish.:)

@ Steve...a little tid bit from your link.....uhmm....if Chris gets any ideas about throwing me overboard tethered to a line, life jacket or not! to cure sea sickness I'll hunt you down and make your life miserable!;):p

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Must know where the bottom is. Deep is deep ;)

13. AbbySue

Oh Gawd! *THUD*

14. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

Go ahead and go --------- enjoy yourself ------ don't give it a second thought. Check with your doc about the ginger stuff and take it. Eat light that a.m. but not greasy stuff. Drink plenty of fluids ----- you'll be fine.

And DEFINITELY get in the pool! You could win big.

And................if all else fails, DON'T ralph into the wind. It sux.

Been dere.......done dat. No fun.

:)

15. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Hey, I only go as far as I can see the bottom in the ocean, there is weird crap down there. Run away! Thats my advice ;)

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Are you supposed to put a life jacket on them? huh. :D

I bet you will be surprised how well you do. Just don't think about.

Steve

17. Insomniac

Make sure you take along plenty of makeup and moisturiser.

The sun and salt water can wither a delicate complexion in no time. :)

And you also have to look your best 30 miles out from the nearest land.

18. AbbySue

Which is exactly why I plan to keep my feet firmly planted IN the boat.:D

[​IMG]

;):D

Delicate? Me? [​IMG] Oiy! If I ever turned into one of those *cough* women who walk around with a crate of cosmetics in their purse, pulling out a small mirror every 5 minutes somebody better just shoot me and get it over with. OMG! Thanks for the laugh Insominiac!:D But hey...I do carry a chap-stick with me.:eek:

19. Insomniac

We want to see pics we you come back.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Now remember Abby, when deep sea fishing you use a rod and line NOT and I repeat NOT grenades ;)

Have fun and post pics of the fishy you catch.... just hope its not a goldfish :D

21. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

What like this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4785686.stm

22. AbbySue

23. DavidGP

I know off topic slightly but did this prosecutor think that this is a isloated incident, then he must drive with his eyes shut as I see at least a few women each week doing make-up or to even the gender divide up, men reading the paper on the stearing wheel! plus have seen one woman on the motorway at 70mph+ doing makeup in the mirror on the M62.

[resume normal service] :)

24. AbbySue

What!? [​IMG]

;)

@ Halo & Insomniac....if I'm not spending my time [​IMG] there will be plenty of pics to post...unless I'm catching lots of fishies of course!:D:D

25. Insomniac

I didn't mean makeup for you, I meant for Star. :D

26. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

As I've read all the replies, the only other thing that I can think of would be shark repellant! I've seen all the JAWS movies ( paranoid ), but knowing my luck something like this would happen. I agree with MA on seeing the bottom!:)

27. star17

star17 MajorGeek

We're going 35 miles off-shore, so the only "bottom" i'm likely to see is Abby's :D

Hey Tim, you sure you don't want to go? ;) Our charter is: http://www.teambigbobberz.com/

28. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

why do I stay in NY?

29. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Well, you got that radio gig up there, and we can't expect you to just walk away from it ;)

30. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, too many 'nervous wrecks' down there, if you'll excuse the dreadful pun! :p.

Apparently, the ginger tea is supposed to work well on the stomach.

Hope you all have a ball, Abby. I'm sure you will.

Just don't go taking those reruns of Gilligan's Island too seriously, LoL! :) If you do get shipwrecked, just be sure it’s an island with plenty of coconuts on it. Worked for Gilligan. ;)

31. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Today was the day for the fishing trip, and we just got home. Had a great time, went about 18 miles out to sea. Abby led the ship in catches with 12, mostly red snapper, not bad at all for first time out. Others on the boat landed some small sharks, sea bass, and grouper. Got some pics that she'll post tomorrow, including some of a couple of submarines from Kings Bay out on maneuvers.

And no one suffered anything close to seasickness :)

32. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Never fails, the girls always do better fishing. :rolleyes: I'm glad it was Abby, did she win the pot? ;)

Sounds like you guy's had a great time, and Red Snapper to boot........fantastic. Can't wait to see the pics. :D

Steve

33. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Remember Gilligan's Adventure.

A Three Hour....

Anywho my daughter had those bands with a plastic button for her wrists. They seemed to work well with her motion sickness.

http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm

34. G.T.

Glad it went well guys. Cant' wait for the pictures. :)

35. DavidGP

Cool sounds like a great day was had by all :)

36. AbbySue

Hey! If you count the little fish (about 5" long) that I hooked sideways through his belly I caught 13 fish!;):D

We had a really good time.:) I'm still tired, got one heck of a sunburn, bruised my ribs and didn't win the pot:(;) but I'm ready to go again!:D Even if I didn't catch anything it was just great being out there on the ocean. It's so different than being out on the lake. The dolphins really do follow the boats!:D

We did get the back of the boat but I was the only girl back there. Was kinda neat having the guys asking me "what bait are you using?" are you going all the way to the bottom?" cuz I was pulling up fish when they weren't.:D They did have some good catches though...I even missed a few cuz I was caught up in watching them reel in theirs.:)

Pics will be up in a little while...:)

37. AbbySue

A few pics to share.:)

Still docked waiting to head out. A few shrimp boats across from us.

[​IMG]

:eek: I was real fascinated with the wake the boat created...a big difference from boats I've been on in the past.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still on the St. John's River and we see the John F. Kennedy at Mayport Naval Station. Look close enough and you can see there is a plane on deck.

[​IMG]

A lone sailboat and you can just make out some high rise condos on the beach...we're getting out there!

[​IMG]

The sun is getting brighter over the water and one of the crew is getting some bait ready for us.

[​IMG]

Nothing but water as far as the eye can see! Look close though and you'll see the sea turtle that came for a visit. He came close enough that he was hitting my line..I was torn between being disappointed I didn't have a bite and worried I was going to snag him.

[​IMG]

Some friends of ours we fished with. We were moving to another spot so were just munching and enjoying the beautiful weather.

[​IMG]

Ugh...he got me..I think subconsciously I knew, hence the scowl.;):D

[​IMG]

A destroyer. We're still kicking ourselves for forgetting to use the zoom. The submarines, ships and the sea turtle were actually much closer than they appear in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The catch. You see the big red snapper in the lower left corner? Yup! That's our stack!:D

[​IMG]

38. G.T.

Great pics Abby. :) Nice to see one of you, even if you were looking daggers. :D But where's Star??? That man seems to be harder to photograph than Bigfoot.

39. AbbySue

Thanks Gary..there were many more I would have liked to take but I was to busy fishing:D

*snicker* I was chatting with the 'guys' but knew Chris had the camera and I had a feeling he was gonna snap a pic...I HATE having my pic taken....sets me on edge...so I can't help the daggers..it's a natural phenomenon.:D

Where's Star? He was the guy who kept disappearing or jumping to stand behind me every time I picked up the camera.:rolleyes:

40. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

You were already turning red from the sun. Maybe he stayed in the shadows....

;)

41. AbbySue

That I was...but I got the worst of the burn on the trip back..it was close to a 2 hour ride and we spent it on the upper deck in full sun:eek:

Would that be in MY shadow? You implying something there b00m?;)

Chris is lucky in that if he does get a touch of sun burn it turns to a tan in a day or two...something to do with the gene pool.:mad:;)

42. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

sweet guys
    sweet

" you an me go fishn in the dark. ."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds