firewall for wireless

Discussion in 'Software' started by green_newbie, Feb 10, 2004.

1. green_newbie

green_newbie Private First Class

on my desktop computer that is directly connected to a modem i use a software firewall called kerio personal firewall. it has b een ok to me. i have tried allot of differant free ones and it seems to function the best for me and my setup.

however i am now useing a laptop and get connected at coffee shops(don't have a wireless connections yet at my house) I would like some protection for this as well but frankly i dont' know anything about wireless connections and how really they are differant from cable connections
    and how could connecting at multiple locations and differant networks come into play.

basicly i am thinking i need a firewall for this allso but i am not sure what firewall i should use. any kind of sugestion or explaination on this is most thanked.

i use a program called leak test. that basicly tries to get through a firewall and connect to a server. if you have half decent firewall up an running it will not make it there.. but on this laptop it gets though with no problem so
    i really would like some security.
    thanks

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Hmmm... the firewall should protect ALL connections to the internet. If it is a coffee shop though, they may already firewall the connection for you. Ask.

A regular firewall should do the job.

3. rmbler

rmbler Private First Class

not sure any firewalls are better than others but if you are concerned about people using your network connection this is a free program that you might be interested in it will show you the ip of a person on your network connection the ip of the sight they visit and allow you ro send them a net send message

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

4. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Zonealarm has worked well for me on both wired (broadband and dialup) and wireless connections. Shields up tested and verified.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds