Wierd Desktop Behavior, Very Wierd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treasurecoast, Jul 17, 2008.

1. treasurecoast

treasurecoast Private E-2

Hello everyone. I have a very weird, crazy problem. I gave my old HP Desktop Pavillion w/Windows XP to my Taiwanese housekeeper so she could e-mail her brother in Taiwan. It was repaired by my neigbor Geek and worked fine. I set it up in her house - she has a monitor, mouse & keyboard - and it wouldn't start. The 3 scanning dots on the XP logo would move, then stop, then the monitor on-off light would go off (amber). I switched the monitor, but no change. I took it back to my Geek friend, and he said it was OK. I took it to my home, and it worked fine for a week. She had subscribed to NetZero, and, as my laptop was out being repaired, I used it fine, albiet vey "dial up" slow. Well, to try to shorten this, I now have the PC in the exact configuration as it worked in y house in her apart, and it won't work except in SAFE MODE. Can't go anywhere from that. HELP!

2. Mongoose

Mongoose Private E-2

I would try doing an operating system repair. Just have your OS disc in during bootup and during the setup screens select "repair volume" or something to that effect.

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

So..if the computer is at your house, it works...but if you take to your house keepers house, then it only works in safe mode?

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Take your mouse and keyboard over to her house and try each to determine which of hers is bad, probably keyboard I would guess.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds