Difference Between INSTALLED Version of IE8 & Downloaded IE Installer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tweety1964, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

Was having trouble with IE8 and decided to download it from Microsoft.com. So far I have come up with this(bear with me; it's been a long day & I might sound more confused that I already am!): I checked the Properties of IE8 that is already installed and then checked the Properties of the file I downloaded. On the INSTALLED VERSION of IE8 the properties are: File Version: 8.0.6001.18702; Description: Internet Explorer.

On the DOWNLOADED VERSION (installation file) the properties are: File Version 6.3.15.0; Description: Self-Extracting Cabinet.

If I run the installation file will it install the SAME version of IE8 I already HAVE installed or a different File Version?

Confused yet? I sure am! Hope someone can figure out what I'm asking and come up with an answer.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, MamaBear1968...

Looks to me like you grabbed an older IE version. We've got IE8 (the same version as your installed program, by the way) listed here for XP and here for Vista. I suggest you try a re-download - trying to layer an older version on top of the one you have may just complicate things...

Meanwhile, have you tried running IE with no add-ons? It's very likely that some 3rd-party extension is causing your IE problems...

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I just realized that the File Version 6.3.15.0 that you're seeing might be the version of the Self-Extracting Cabinet and not necessarily that of the Internet Explorer browser itself...

Regardless, to be safe, I suggest going through those links I posted and re-downloading...

4. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

I thought the one I downloaded was an older version! Some days my brain doesn't fire on all levels. I've been trying to run Microsoft Update for IE8 but for some reason (BIG SURPRISE!!!) it won't let me update. I've tried disabling firewall, creating exception to firewall, etc., etc., but nothing. Will try downloading the file you suggested and see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds