Broadcom 802.11b/g and WPA2? Can't access my wireless connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjs69, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mjs69

mjs69 Private E-2

Hi all

Trying to get my wife's older laptop to connect to our wireless network. The laptop is a HP pavillion zv5000 running windows XP sp3. The network adapter is a Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN. The router is a cisco linksys WRT54G2 V1.5. The security on the network is WPA2 using TKIP+AES encryption.

I can't get it to connect to the wireless network. If I bump the security down to WEP it will connect just fine. I want to leave the security at WPA2 however. How do I fix this?

Thanks

Mike

2. mjs69

mjs69 Private E-2

I tried using WPA (not WPA2) with TKIP and matched the settings with the laptop....no luck there either...

The Security settings for the network show WPA2 with 2 encryption options...AES only or TKIP+AES...for WPA it only has the option of TKIP....maybe it can run both at the same time or maybe that means it will recieve both with WPA2?

3. mjs69

mjs69 Private E-2

thanks for the tips...

After messing around with it for awhile I eventually found an 802.11 ** WPA2 driver well hidden in the poorly lit backwaters of the broadcom website. I had to remove all the other broadcom drivers on the laptop to get it to install. Installing it as well as completely resetting up my wireless router from scratch has taken care of the problem.
    thanks again for the replies!

Mike

4. keelsracing

keelsracing Private E-2

could you send or post the link to driver or tell how to find it having the same issue

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds