USB2 Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the don miester, Sep 14, 2006.

1. the don miester

the don miester Private E-2

HI all

I recently upgraded my PC - well I upgraded everything except the HDD as I didnt want to be bothered doing a fresh install of XP.

I have cleaned out all old drivers and everything seems to be working fine - apart from USB ports.

On everything I have read it says that the drivers come as part of XP SP1 however, I have XP SP 2 and the drivers will not autmaticlay update !

Any ideas anyone ?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try re-installing your chipset/motherboard drivers as they are needed to allow the OS to pickup USB2.0.

In Device Manager do you have any Yellow ! marks, if so what?

3. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Bad idea...
    XP configures itself for your exact system when it installs. If you upgrade one part only, a graphics card for example, you can only update the driver. Replacing your whole system is asking for problems (at least with M$ software).

Try deleting ALL usb ports from the device manager to force XP to reinstall them.

4. the don miester

the don miester Private E-2

Cheers - I uninstalled all USB hubs in device manager, let windows auto reinstall and all is good

Thanks for the post :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds