No Audio Output Device Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mirack, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mirack

mirack Private E-2

I have tried every know fix for this and I have no clue what to do. The most successful answer has been uninstal the driver and let windows reintall it after a reboot I tried that. I even tried reformatting pc.

It is onboard audio on intel d946gzis I also have a front line out which isnt working. I noticed one thing different from most when I go to device manager I don't have the drop down for Sound, Video and Games.

Any help is much appriciated.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused So you're saying you have NO entry for Sound, Video, and Game Controllers like in the screen shot below?

Attached Files:

3. mirack

mirack Private E-2

Yes I dont have that drop down.

The one I am uninstalling and it reinstalls is High Definition Audio Controller which is under the System Devices Tab, but I don't have the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers tab.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. mirack

mirack Private E-2

Yeah did that, when the audio drivers get so close to finishing, it says "Device Object not present, restart the system and run set-up again."

Where do I though find the older drivers? Running Vista 32 bit btw.

I am really at a loss but not ready to give up, I had this thing beside me in a heap of wires on boxing day, and when I reassesmbled it wouldnt even turn on. Thx to some great people here all I have left to fix is the audio.

6. mirack

mirack Private E-2

Is it a problem I dont have the drop down for Sound, Video and Game COntrolers?

7. a_cup

a_cup Private E-2

Hi mirack,

The UAA High Definition Audio class driver for Windows may be corrupted and causing problems with the driver installation...

Try the following solution offered at intel in the following link...
    Audio Drivers Fail to Install

8. mirack

mirack Private E-2

dead link

9. mirack

mirack Private E-2

I find what you had pt and it also didnt work.

I think its screwed lol. I still wonder is it an issue I dont have that drop down in the device manager.

10. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Have you checked in the BIOS if the device is active or been disabled? If it's a plug in card remove then reinstall the card. Ensure the card is seated properly and please ensure you switch off, unplug the computer then ground yourself. Do not ground yourself while working on a machine that's plugged in even if it isn't switched on.

If all is well in the BIOS, if your in Vista or XP go to the device manager.. press and hold Windows Key then press "R" once. Type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes). Head down to "Sound Video & Game Controllers" Click the + from the drop down is your device there? Does it have a problem with a ! or a ? beside it? If it's there and your still having problems check the obvious... that it's the default sound device, speakers/headphones plugged in and powered on (I know but we've all done it lol).

I'm sure you did this already but if the hardware is connected try uninstalling the drive from control panel, reboot then reinstall the correct driver for the device when you reboot. If all else fails assuming the device shows up in device manager you could always either try a system restore (if your sure it's a software problem) or roll back the driver.

I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

11. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Sorry, I forgot to mention.. HDAC maybe coming from your graphics card, what type of card do you have installed? Check in the BIOS make sure that sound card hasn't been switched off for any reason!.. If worst comes to worst and you give up or if it's dead for some reason buying a replacement sound card is quite cheap, very easy to install as well!

12. a_cup

a_cup Private E-2

This would most likely mean your sound card is disabled, bad, installed improperly or missing. Check that sound is enabled in BIOS

Also check that audio is started in services....Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click>>Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Sorry about the previous posted link I didn't put it in correctly..It should work now
    Audio Drivers Fail to Install

13. mirack

mirack Private E-2

Done all that, I think my best bet as someone else suggested is to simply buy a cheap sound card.

Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread, very frustrating issue I wasted countless hours on.

14. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup, at this point buying a cheap sound card may be the way to go. If you've checked the BIOS and it's enabled, and you've done all the stuff suggested above, then buying the card is definitely the way to go. New generic 5.1 or 7.1 sound cards can be had for under $30, basic used cards can be had for half that or less. Be sure to disable the on-board audio in the BIOS before installing the new sound card...
    :-D

(I hate to admit defeat too ;) )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds