USB 1.1 to USB2.0 in a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbazza, Jul 25, 2004.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Halo, posted this in hardware so as not to hijack the software thread. Nearly all are listed for USB 2.0. Will they work on USB1.1 (in my laptop). Has anyone updated a Gateway Solo 9300 (P2/400) to USB 2.0. I tried one of the USA major sources on Gateway parts but they couldn't comment as no-one has apparently tried it. Any other laptop owner (any brand) updated from USB1.1 to USB2.0? Using W98SE, 288mb RAM. Will I run into BIOS problems?Bazza

=====

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

usb 2.0 is downwards compatible with 1.1, but will only run at 1.1 speeds. you can't upgrade your usb ports, afaik.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

you shouldnt have a problem Bazza as usb2.0 is backwards compatible with usb1.1 they just work at usb1.1 speeds tho.

as for compatibility with your Gateway easiest way maybe to goto your local PC show ( preferably one that sells USB Pen Drives ;) ) and ask them if you could test one before you buy! *phone first to see if they would do this.. saves a wasted journey*

edit:
    Ace to damm quick again!

4. bigbazza

Thanks guys, but what I was getting at is I want to replace whatever chips/hardware drives USB 1.1 inside my laptop with whatever is needed to fit usb 2.0. I know USB 2 is downward compatible with usb 1.1 but that is not what I am after. Will I run into BIOS problems. I will post all system specs if you need it but am just after an answer if anyone has updated their laptop hardware from 1.1 to 2.0 See quote below for abridged specs. Bazza

===

5. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I think you'll have troubles Bazz. The actual USB controller chips will be soldered to the motherboard. Don't know if the newer USB 2 chips are either the same physical size or pin-out identical. Also, the motherboard chipset has to support USB 2.0 AFAIK (all the boards that support 2.0 have BIOS settings allowing you to set which USB version to run), and yours won't.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

USB controllers are generally integrated into the chipset (or at least the root hub is).

USB 2.0 PC Cards exist, however.

7. bigbazza

Thanks, da chicken and GT. Hoped it might be easy but doesn't look like it. PC Card looks like the way to go. Bazza

====

8. acejones

you won't be able to get a pc card for your laptop. afaik, you are stuck with what you have. please correct me if i am wrong.

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Huh? According to the Gateway Solo 9300 specifications on Gateway's site, the laptop supports "One Type III or two Type I or II 32-bit PC Card sockets". Newegg sells a bunch of them. (The D-Link one looks to be the favorite.) Did you think I meant PCI card?

I also noticed it has IEEE 1394 support, which is equivalent to USB2.0 in speed. You might try for a device with IEEE 1394 support instead.

10. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Just noticed this. Win9x *might* be a problem, since USB support -- even USB 1.1 -- is rather lackluster. Any drivers would have to come from the card manufacturer, as MS doesn't provide USB drivers for 9x. Be sure to check that before deciding on a card.

11. acejones

yeah sorry guys...i was thinking pci card, and i've always know pc cards as pcmcia...sorry 'bout any confusion.

12. bigbazza

Thanks guys, just logged in for today. It's 4.30am and I can't find the !@#$% manual so I went to the Gateway link as per earlier post.

Ports are as follows

2 USB (version 1.1)
    IEEE 1394
    Fast Infra Red
    High Speed Serial (16550A-compatible)
    Parallel port - IEEE compliant (bi-directional, EPP, ECP)
    RJ11 (internal modem)
    PS/2 keyboard or mouse
    DC input
    Docking connector
    One Type III or two Type I or II 32-bit PC Card sockets
    XGA/SVGA/VGA external monitor
    NTSC/PAL composite video output
    NTSC/PAL composite video input2 USB (version 1.1)

Will check out newegg link and then see what is available in OZ. bazza

====

13. bigbazza

Ace, newegg link on your post crashes. Can you provide the link again. Thanks.. Bazza

===

14. bigbazza

Acejones, when I visit the newegg link I get

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchproduct.asp?error=1

Error Message "Search string can not be space or meaningless word".

Can you provide the link again, or tell me what product you are suggesting. Thanks.. Bazza
    ===

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bazza the link was from Da Chicken and I would hazzard a guess at one of these http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=151 that slips into your pcmcia slot, I know these or some of these have USB2.0 chips on the card itself, but I dont know enough about these to be useful here mate sorry!

16. bigbazza

My apols to da chicken and acejones. I 'm easily confused :confused: early in the morning. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:)
    @halo. Will check out your link. Thanks. Bazza

===

17. bigbazza

Can anyone help. The link tells me:-

"The DUB-C2 is compatible with USB 2.0 standards and is backward compatible with USB 1.0 and USB 1.1 products. This gives you the ability to connect all of your USB 1.x devices to the DUB-C2 USB 2.0 adapter and they will work. Each port detects whether the connected device is USB 1.x or USB 2.0 and automatically runs the device at the correct speed.The DUB-C2 is compatible with USB 2.0 standards and is backward compatible with USB 1.0 and USB 1.1 products. This gives you the ability to connect all of your USB 1.x devices to the DUB-C2 USB 2.0 adapter and they will work. Each port detects whether the connected device is USB 1.x or USB 2.0 and automatically runs the device at the correct speed".

Does the USB 2.0 override the hardware installed USB1.1 installed in my laptop? From what I read (bold text above), I assume it runs USB 2.0 devices at USB 2.0 speeds and USB 1.1 devices at USB 1.1 speeds. Is that your interpretation? Bazza

===

18. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Sorry 'bout the link... WFM when I first posted it!

It shouldn't. Your existing 1.1 USB ports should continue to function as 1.1 USB ports.

That's how the normal USB 2.0 ports work, so I would assume that's how this will work. A USB 2.0 device will work in a USB 1.1 port, and a USB 1.1 device will work in a USB 2.0 port. The only downside is you get limited to USB 1.1 speeds.

19. bigbazza

da chicken, they coulda simply said:-

Reads a hell of a lot simpler. Bazza
    Thanks, anyhow. Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds