connection problem; related to IP address being found or not being...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apoxacilin, Jul 10, 2008.

1. apoxacilin

apoxacilin Private E-2

Howdy,
    The other day I was having problems with the computer connecting to the internet after hibernating. When I tried to repair the connection, it couldn't renew my IP address. When I restarted, however, everything was fine.

Today after restart and restart, no internet access was possible. When I tried to repair the connection nine times out of ten, the IP address could not be renewed. One time out of ten, it is renewed, but the connection problems still remain. The computer is really trying to access the internet, as it thinks it's connected to my wireless network. But nothing happens; I just get connection timed out messages after a couple minutes of processing.

I did a number of scans which found nothing wrong. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Is it wired or wireless?

Start, run, cmd, enter this:

ping www.google.com

Any loss?

3. apoxacilin

apoxacilin Private E-2

Thanks for getting back to me. It is a wireless connection.
    The response I get seems good.
    Reply from 74.125.19.99: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=245
    Reply from 74.125.19.99: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=245
    Reply from 74.125.19.99: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=245
    Reply from 74.125.19.99: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 74.125.19.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13 ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 14 ms

For the connection itself, i get an IP address of 192.168.1.3
    Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

My current problems still include not being able to get internet explorer, firefox, or my anti-virus software to gain access to the internet. This list doesn't include probably other programs wanting to do the same and failing, though zone alarm seems to ask me when any of them want to.

thanks for your help,
    matt

4. apoxacilin

apoxacilin Private E-2

When i try to renew my IP address through the command prompt. The computer finds that it is unable to contact my DHCP server, though sometimes when I try to repair the wireless connection in "network connections" it does manage to renew the IP address.

Not sure what this implies, but it might be useful for you wonderful helpers.

5. apoxacilin

apoxacilin Private E-2

Ok, granted, I am a self-admitted idiot. That said, so I tried completely disabling zone alarm, and the internet worked fine. When I reenabled zone alarm, it didn't work again, even when I allowed firefox access. My security rating was on high, so I bumped it down to medium and everything works.

The only thing that I'm uneasy with is that the high security setting is recommended by zone alarm for programs that are in the "internet zone." So, I'm wondering what things I allowing to screw with my computer riding the medium security level. In fact, I've these programs were able to have access to the internet when I was using the high security setting before.

Any ideas are much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    matt

6. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds