Lose connection to internet and have to shutdown/start computer to reconnect.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I can be on the internet for awhile and then I simply lose connection. I have a router that I connect to, so in the past sometimes I would have to go into admin for the router and restart it. But now when I get disconnected from the internet I can't even log onto the router. My system setup is:
    Windows 7 64bit
    EVGA MB NFORCE 780i SLI
    CPU is Q9550
    with 6gb ram
    Asus ENGTX$^) video card
    Belkin N Wireless Router F5D8233-4
    Norton Internet Security ver. 17.8.0.5

I've make sure it's updated regularly

I've read the Blaster Worm can cause this, but Norton's doesn't find anything.
    Could it be the router??

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

depends if the connection is dropping out between the router and the internet or your PC and the router. We may have to test your command prompt skills here!

Open a new comand prompt window clicking start -> Run -> then type cmd and hit enter.

when it opens type "ipconfig /all" (without the speach marks).(note you need to do this when you are connected to the net) This will list you network settings. Write down the address for your default gateway (probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254). When your connection next dies open command prompt again and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (again without spechmarks and where the x = your default gateway ie ping 192.168.1.1). This will test the connection to your router. If it fails you have lost your local network connection. If it is successful then your router has lost its connection to the net.

Post back how you get on once you have done this.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What sort of error do you get?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you have another PC or gaming box (XBox, PS3, etc.), run it simultaneously and see if it disconnects at the same time. If so, it pretty much rules out an issue w/ your PC and focuses the problem on the router or ISP.

If you have a combination modem/router (such as AT&T's Two Wire), call your ISP and ask them to run remote diagnostics - this is usually a free service.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds