Backup software

Discussion in 'Software' started by lego126, Jun 2, 2015.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Hey guys, Im looking for software/small tool for a backup job at work. I'll be backing up the hard drives on 12-Windows 2000 PRO computers. We are just starting the process of upgrading to windows XP, and we wanna get full images of each Hard drive before hand. We have used an older version of Acronis before, but I'm unsure about after we upgrade to XP, whether or not I'd be able to transfer only the software, or will it only create a image? Where if I use the image after upgrading to XP, it will revert everything to windows 2000? Free of course is great, but we would pay almost anything for the appropriate software. Maybe the best thing would be create a Acronis backup/image on a seperate passport, and use a different software to transfer after the XP upgrade? The problem is almost all software we use for the machines were written for windows 2000, and we aren't even sure what will and will NOT work on XP until we try, not to mention wether or not we could find software disc. However, the loss of CPU/Machine cost around 15-20K for 24 HRS. Unfortunately our 25 maintenance guys are not MAJORGEEKS if you know what I mean! ;) Any help appreciated, and as always thanks for the service.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It will. An image, when used, turns the hard drive back to the way it was at the time the image was created.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know your software is written for Win 2000 but "upgrading" to XP isn't the best bet either. Microsoft no longer supports 2000 OR XP so, if for some reason any of these machines need to go online, they're vulnerable to exploits and other malware.

4. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Well I've installed Acronis True Image 2015 and have been very impressed thus far. I've not started the process yet of cloning the drives, but will do soon. Personally, I think the best bet would be get a 200G HD, 2 partitions,dual-boot for a while, 1 with windows 2000, 1 with XP as a trial, just to see if it will work. We are unsure what the affects will be with upgrading and the machines. We just wanna make sure we have backups of each computer in case there is a communication error with the B&R profiles.

5. plodr

6. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds