Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive Startup Freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sexyandy81, Nov 8, 2009.

1. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello Everyone,

I have a Iomega 1TB external hard drive connected to my computer by usb port and powered up by mains if the drive is switched on and I go to shut down computer or restart the computer freezes on the logo screen before bios.

I have to physically switch off the drive and restart the computer just to get it to boot up properly. is there anyway round it that i can leave the drive switched on.

Many Thanks

Andy

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Andy.

Sounds like the outlet you are plugged into is way overloaded. Can you get plugged into another better outlet or at least partly into another?

Good Luck, Jim

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Plugging an external hard drive into an outlet is not likely to cause a power problem, as they normally consume about 0.5 amps.

@sexyandy81: I have never heard of a logo screen before a BIOS before. What logo does it display?

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have had this problem with Flash drives and the culprit turned out to be malware in the flash drives so formatting them was the answer and now no more problems.

I also have an Iomega 1tb but it is broken (my fault i dropped it :-o) previous to that it was a superb piece of hardware.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

It comes up with my packard bell logo screen and then the options press F2 to enter bios F8 boot options etc. but with the external switched on I can't even press these options it just froze on that screen not progressing any further.

I spoke to Iomega about the problem and the agent clearly stated to disable USB legacy in bios, I have done this and the problem has still not gone away :banghead . I went back to iomega support and a different agent told me that my bios may not support removable drives bigger than 500mb if this is the case then there is no option but to switch the drive off when restarting or shutting down the computer.

:cry it's going to be pain but if there is no other way round so be it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds