Outlook "Sending 1 of 3" - but outbox is empty!

Discussion in 'Software' started by James2008, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James2008

James2008 Private E-2

Outlook has begun trying to send three phantom messages during send-and-receive, which don't exist in the outbox. I always cancel it, because it seems likely to be some kind of malware, but neither AVG or Avast free antivirus programs have been able to capture it.

Does anyone recognize this symptom, or know what the cause might be?

I'm using Outlook Office Basic Edition 2003 on Windows XP Home.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

3. James2008

James2008 Private E-2

Thanks for the link, I'm glad it's not a virus of some sort.

However, I've installed OutlookSpy and followed those instructions, but when I get as far as clicking the "IMsgStore::AbortSubmit" button this error pops up:

IMsgStore::AbortSubmit() returned MAPI_E_UNABLE_TO_ABORT

I've tried skipping this step and deleting them but it won't allow that either.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Basically the application is trying to delete the stuck read receipt and is failing. So it aborts. It doesn't always suceed with different underlying message systems.

OK...I know OutlookSpy think they have something on MDBView, but let's try it anyway ;)

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deletereadreceipt.htm

manjit likes this.
  5. James2008

James2008 Private E-2

Fantastic, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You're welcome :)

MDBView - 1 OutlookSpy- 0

7. shadowriderkc

shadowriderkc Private E-2

I'm not as lucky as James I guess. I'm getting the exact same error message: IMsgStore::AbortSubmit() returned MAPI_E_UNABLE_TO_ABORT. Unfortunately, I'm getting this message with both Outlook Spy AND MDBVU32. My Outlook 2003 started with the "sending 1 of 2" about three weeks ago, and has now increased to "sending 1 of 11". I downloaded both apps to correct this problem, but to no avail. There has to be a better utility (i.e. fewer steps) than either of these that will correct my problem.

In addition, I'm sometimes unable to respond/reply to email as well. When I get a message and try to reply, it sits in the Outbox indefinitely. Oddly enough, this is an intermittent problem. Some replies go, some don't, but there's no consistency to it. New messages cause no problems, just replies. I assume this has something to do with my ISP (AT&T U-Verse DSL) and not my email client but I don't know. I'm not tech savvy and am incredibly frustrated by this whole experience, so I'm obviously looking for an easy and quick solution (I guess this is not possible in a Microsoft universe...). I use Yahoo email with POP forwarding to Outlook, and have for several years, but this is the first time I've experienced this problem.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

8. kenwood

kenwood Private E-2

There is an option not mentioned in the Outlook Spy instructions

-click on the Outbox -
    -click on th eIMAPI Folder button at the top
    -click on ASSOCIATED CONTENTS (instead of GetContentsTable which was empty for me)
    -there may be an entry "Message" there, highlight and delete it
    -try send/receive again and it should only receive/your count will be in sync

I am adding this answer now because I didn't see it anywhere in the WWW :D

(btw MDBVU32 didn't work for either, i had a message stuck in the outbox because i attempted to pull one out while it was sending, somehow it got trapped in a time warp!)

9. RoyalGeek1

RoyalGeek1 Private E-2

;) Thank you I searched for the syptom and the Outlook Spy with the instructions corrected the peoblem KUDOS!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds