System keeps trying to install MS Office after MalWare removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by WHAnderson, Oct 11, 2010.

1. WHAnderson

WHAnderson Private E-2

I have had many strange things happen after removing viruses and malware. But, this one is a pain.

Anytime I start the computer, or start IE, XP Pro tries to install MS Office. I have looked in the registry and start-up listings. I have been unable to find where this command to install office is. :confused

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

I just looked and you still have an active thread going in Malware that Chaslang is helping you with. It seems as though your machine was very infected.

Before doing anything else, you should really wait to get it all cleared out. This problem could also very well have to do with your infection.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Details are fuzzy, but I had a similar situation a number of years ago. Though my pc wasn't infected and never had been, out of the blue it started trying to install Office 2000 which was already installed. Following a tip from some forum or other, I inserted the installation disk when directed to. Office didn't reinstall, but that solved the problem.

4. WHAnderson

WHAnderson Private E-2

Unfortunately, I do not have the original disk. :(

5. LocknLod

LocknLod Private E-2

Something vaguely similar happened to my last computer, which machine's master is now installed as slave on this newer rig.

Out of the blue a Microsoft Office Suite install occurred, even though I already had select components installed, like M/S Word.

I ended up having all Serial/Com ports blown out, with a dead Serial/Com board in computer, causing loss of USB PC board, causing loss of dialup modem ability.

While troubleshooting I discovered 125+ PAGES of 'Startup' items, all connected to M/S Office Suite and Windows NT. Within those were all the separate entries, plus a mirror copy of each for Administrator.

Never got it sorted out, never found out how to safely remove un-needed. So just a caution to please be real careful on this problem until it's solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds