Computer crash (blue screen)

Discussion in 'Software' started by yusky03, Jul 7, 2006.

1. yusky03

yusky03 Private First Class

i hope this is the right forum but here it goes

--------------------------------------------
    BLUE SCREEN WHEN ERROR HAPPENED!

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
    *** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0xF9167784, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB245738D)

*** GRTdiMon.sys - Address B245738D base at B255000, DateStamp 42d27647

END OF BLUE SCREEN
    ------------------------------------------
    INFO WHEN COMPUTER RESTARTED

Error Signature:
    BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : F9167784 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : B245738D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

The following files will be included in this error report:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER348b.dir00\Mini070706-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER348b.dir00\sysdata.xml
    ------------------------------------------

THIS ERROR HAS HAPPENED BEFORE SO I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME

ps no viruses have Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and did a norton scan online, no spyware/ad-ware

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

It sounds like you tried to install a driver from the internet that wasn't compatable with your hardware.

Run CCleaner if you have it and it will remove the Temp files that caused the problem.

You can download CCleaner here. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

3. yusky03

thanks for the help it crashed right when i was about to install CCleaner lol but i did get it installed and then clicked run cleaner it worked as far as i know thanks again

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Let me know how it's going:)

5. yusky03

it did not work i turned my monitor off and went to watch some good old TV when i came back i got the dreaded blue screen

i sent the error report and this is what it had to say

--------------------------
    Solution not found: contact vendor for support

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

An unknown error occurred in Authentium Security Firewall/Antivirus driver (grtdimon.sys). At this time Microsoft is unaware of the specific cause of this problem.

Recommendations

Authentium Security Firewall/Antivirus driver (grtdimon.sys) is distributed by many companies. Please contact the company that provided you with Authentium Security Firewall/Antivirus driver (grtdimon.sys) for possible product updates or support options. If you are unsure which company to contact, examine the product details using Device Manager.

How to open Device Manager

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    Double-click the type of device you want to view.
    Right-click the specific device you want examine, and then click Properties.
    On the Driver tab, click Driver Details.
    Alternatively, you may choose to uninstall the application or driver. Click here for instructions on how to remove an application or driver.

-------------------------------------------------

got any more solutions?

6. yusky03

PS
    this has been happening for a wile and i have not been successful in finding a solution it has only gotten worse at first it only happened about once a week or so but today is the first day it happened 3 times in a day

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

8. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER348b.dir00\Mini070706-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER348b.dir00\sysdata.xml

Just an aside, why would a driver be in a Temp file? If it was an update that was downloaded I could see windows keeping it there if it was not signed or it was not fully downloaded. Hope TimW's info helps.

I am not familliar with Authentium Security. Maybe you could run a Repair install.

9. yusky03

the response time on this site is phenomenal

i followed the link TimW gave me and the file is 20,480 bytes so that meens it is no a virus right? or should i remove it

wouldn't Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 find this file and tell me if it was a virus

i will try rebooting with F8

10. yusky03

i rebooted with F8 and choose debugging mode but after the windows xp boot screen here was a black screen with my mouse pointer and then the computer freezes

11. abri

abri MajorGeek

Did it start happening when you started using Kasperksy 6.0? I love Kaspersky, (good customer service!), but my system couldn't handle it, even though I have XP. The earlier versions of Kaspersky seem to be easier on the system. However, I don't know if this is related to your problem at all. Just wanted to mention it.
    abri

12. yusky03

yeah this is exactly what i think is going on here and it got really bad when i upgraded to the newest beta version yesterday that would also explain y it has gotten worse... does this mean i will have to stop useing Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 because i also like it very very much i did have McAfee and did not like it... also this has never happend when i had Kaspersky off... but anyway my system should handle it

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Memory: 502MB RAM

the only bad thing is my graphics card (made me very angry could not play Half life ep 1 because i could not use my flashlight) but that should not have anything to do with Kasperky
    ------------------------------
    did it and it gave me this

Windows found problems with the file system

Run CHDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these

but what does it want with my virtual drive?
    --------------------------
    "Authentium Security Firewall/Antivirus driver (grtdimon.sys) is distributed by many companies. Please contact the company that provided you with Authentium Security Firewall/Antivirus driver (grtdimon.sys) for possible product updates or support options."

should i do what it say and update the driver? and were would i find the update?

also i did a Check Disk i think it was ether yesterday or the day before (said it could not accsess some files so i had to do it on reboot)

13. abri

abri MajorGeek

Please do not think of me as a Geek. I'm more of an extracurriculer activities person. However, just about the AV, my system should have handled Kaspersky also, but it seemed to be scanning every single thing that came in from the internet. I felt like I couldn't ever quite get it under my control and I worked with it for around 3 weeks. I think it would be fine for a computer that's newer. I'm now sitting here with a perfectly good not-being-used copy of Kaspersky 6.0 in the box and using AVG free. I have no opinion about AVG free. I haven't been using it long enough. I liked Norton's System Works very much, but again, it became so massive, that for my computer, when I need their tools like the disk doctor or the win doctor, I just go back to my 2004 copy and run them from the cd. I don't know enough to know if your problem is in any way related to my comment and will leave the real advice to the real people. Hang in there. Perserverance works. (often) lol
    abri

14. yusky03

i also thought it was scanning ever file i opened on my computer with very anoying results because it would often practicly freeze my computer for an unknown reason most likely scanning files but this has only happend in the older beta versions with the version i have now there are no problems with it at all well except for this one :(

so as your advice for me what should i do go to kaspersky support forum and ask this same question and hope they can ether help me with it now or fix it in another beta release, switch to norton or some other security system, or should i just sit here and wait pashently for another reply

ps my computer is about 2 years old

15. yusky03

i don't know what is up with my computer today but i just got another error message i did not get it in the dreaded blue screen but did get it in a popup error report here is the info
    -----------------------------
    Application Layer Gateway Service

Error Signature:
    szAppName : ALG.EXE szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : unknown
    szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000001

C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER484b.dir00\ALG.EXE.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER484b.dir00\appcompat.txt
    ------------------------------------
    what is up with that temp folder does it contain a virus or what>???

PS i have Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 unloaded from the memory and i have the windows firewall on

16. yusky03

i don't know if it will help or not but here is a HijackThis log

Attached Files:

• HJT.txt
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  17. suzan

suzan Private E-2

I had the same problem.
    Some malware camouflage themselves as GRTdiMon.sys
    GRTdiMon.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Go to start, search, search for "grtdimon" click all files and folders, advanced options (include hidden files) you should find 2 grtdimon files and delete them.

Another option is to purchase PCOnpoint for $41 and scan your computer and registers to remove and fix. They have a free 30-day trial, but, not sure if it will remove everything. Good luck

18. yusky03

thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds