USB stopped working...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Felyx, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Felyx

Felyx Private E-2

Comp is a Compaq Presario SR1517CL Dekstop running Windows XP Home.

Okay, I'm about to my wit's end here!
    The computer was shut off one night in perfect working order. The next morning all of the USB ports stopped working aside from the one the USB mouse is on. This caused the headset and webcam both to no longer be recognized.

The BIOS doesn't display the option to "Enable USB" or any variation thereof outside of "Legacy USB Support" which is enabled. The computer was restarted in Safe Mode and the USB root hubs and so on were uninstalled and the comp rebooted in an attempt to get windows to re-assign the drivers, etc. Scan disk was also run to check for any errors. Both were in vain.

Nothing has produced any results thus far and that leaves, the way I see it, the last resort option of updating the BIOS itself. The problem is simply that I am not physically capable of working on this cmoputer as it is my Wife's and currently I am deployed and can only walk her through, so I was hoping it wouldn't come to something of that calibur as she isn't too keen on that idea. :)

Any help or suggestions would be great! Thank you for your time and help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds