Location redirect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmyere, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rmyere

rmyere Private E-2

Hey guys, I would appreciate any help on this one...

Is there any way to NOT have a website automatically detect your location and redirect you to a regional website. For example, If i am in India or Japan and I type in google.com, It automatically redirects me NOT to google.com, but the regional site like google.com.jp, or google.com.hk or wherever I happen to be.

Using a proxy is NOT an option. I am currently in China and I have OpenVPN running on the DD-wrt flashed router, which puts me somewhere else in the world.

Yes, I could just turn off the VPN, but then half of the internet would stop working (The Great Firewall), so, not an option.

Using a VPN based somewhere else in the world could possibly work, but speeds drop off considerably if not in a few specific locations. This is for my business which many people use, so, not an option.

I guess what I want to know, is there a way to tell website, without a proxy, or through my browser, that I am somewhere other than Hong Kong?

I already am using DNS servers that are based in the USA, but still nothing.

Thanks. I hope there is an easy answer to this. I think its kind of a doozy though!

-Rob

2. rmyere

rmyere Private E-2

:( I am adding a frowny face because I don't think anyone knows the answer. I take it that it can not be done. THX anyway! :cry

3. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

The following link is a thread with a similar issue.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/programming-talk/51504-how-block-geographical-redirects.html

With Firefox 3 you can prevent such behaviour by following the steps mentioned below.
    1.) Open your Firefox 3 instance.
    2.) Click on Tools. Next Click on Options.
    3.) Click on Advanced tab. Click on sub tab called General.
    4.) Select the checkbox which says ” Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page”.
    5.) Click on Ok.
    Once you have setup the feature after following the steps as mentioned above, Firefox will report redirects to other websites with an information bar, the bar will have an option for you to either approve or disapprove the behaviour.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds