My latest ailment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DanTekGeek, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

ok....wait....whoa! new editor!

ok, anyway, back to my point. I have an infected bug bite on my leg that is only getting worse. If its not better within 24 hours, I will have to go into the hospital for IV antibiotics. I can hardly walk. Hurts like hell. Sorry I havent been on the board latley, Ive been trying to woo this girl. Anyway, just an update.

2. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Hey hope everything is okay!

Good luck with the girl :)

What kind of bug bit you? eek.

I have a mosqutio bite if that makes you feel any better lolol.

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Show her the bite. That should work. :)

4. DanTekGeek

i dont want to scare her off, its red, 85mm in diameter, and ooky. It was just a normal mosquito bite, but I scratched it, and its infected.

5. oldcrocd

oldcrocd Private E-2

Put some Tincture of Iodine on it , it will sting like crazy but will kill any infection that there. Save you a trip to hospital anyway.
    Regarding the new girl friend, whats her number and I will ring her and explain your problems!!

6. DanTekGeek

unfortunatly, nothing topical will help. it is already systemic. I had a fever last night and im getting it again. my lymph nodes are huge painful and swollen, and im allready on a massive dose of antibiotics.

7. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Wow! You must have had something really nasty under your fingernails.

Good luck with the infection and the girl.

The girl will probably take longer to get a handle on, but a lot more fun. ;)

8. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

next time.....the best stuff Ive ever found for clearing skin wounds and infections is something called 'Schreiner's herbal solution for livestock and horses' !!! i kid u not. i use it on my dog (coz hes like a goddamn horse!) and it is miraculous. then a while ago, an English visitor who was not able to use bug sprays or antihistamines asked why it wouldn't work on humans. we rang the manufacturers and they said (in a very southern drawl) that they use it all the time on themselves and it works just fine on humans but cant be sold as such due to FDA rulings. this is a list of ingredients.
    aloe vera, comfrey, goldenseal, myrrh, cayenne and elder in an isopropyl alcohol base. ps. it stings like a M***** F*****. (their words not mine. lol). you hafta get it at feed stores and the like or ring them and find out where to get it. ph# 1-800-223-4325. aloha

9. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Well, if the FDA doesn't sell it for use on humans.... than it's obviously for a good reason... right? :confused:

10. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

not necessarily. the FDA doesn't test herbal remedies and therefore cant recommend them. this applies to all herbal remedies and supplements. the supplements always have a disclaimer saying 'not for medicinal use' or 'not approved by the FDA' etc.. as this IS sold as medicinal it cannot be advertised for humans. aloha

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Honey works well for infections believe it or not. Bacteria cannot survive in it and die.

12. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

That's why you can't give it to babies under a year old, can make them very sick.

@Cano: I buy antibiotics from the pet store for us all the time! You get the ones for fish and then take what would be a normal dose for us. They sell everything except basic penicillin, so if you know you need antibiotics it can save a trip and payment to the doctor and the chance of catching something worse. LaurieB's right, some of the animal stuff is great for us!!!

@dantekgeek: GET THIS SEEN TO before they have to start cutting out chunks. All the best :), hope you are fit again soon.

13. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

I learn something new everyday from you guys :)

14. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

And if that doesn't work it's time to amputate ;)

15. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Speaking of latest ailments,, Yesterday, I went to look at a 4000 sq. ft. house that is being turned into offices. I used the garage door remote they gave me, and went in to open the door to the inside. I took 3 steps into the garage, and within a matter of 1/2 second, I got hit more that 10 times. All in an area of a couple inches on my back. They got me that many times before I even saw one wasp.

One bite stings a bit,, 10 or 12 tends to ruin my morning.

16. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Yow biker dude :(
    I hate things that fly and sting, my least favorite part of living here.
    Aloe vera gel might help.
    Or pie. (Pecan)
    Better now?

17. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I felt much better when I went to the hardware store and bought 3 cans of that wasp spray that shoots over 20 feet,, and wipes out whole nests. I went back and pretended like they were all MuskyBob. ;) (jest kiddin' buddy)

There aren't any more wasps there now. Made the pain go away MUCH sooner.

18. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

You and I should get together since we both like pie so much :D:D

19. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out http://www.healthy-horse.com/firsta/schrein.htm Bazza

PS: Anyone got a good preventative for Malaria. Going back to Africa next year and don't want Malaria gain.. Baz

====

20. G.T.

Revenge and payback always soothes the pain. :D

Glad you're not massively allergic to them. That many stings can kill those that are.

As far as the good topical remedies... those are good at the first, but once it goes systemic, there's nothing you can put on the skin that will fight it. Try to catch them early.

21. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

STOP THAT!
    We already talked about this :rolleyes:
    I am the Talibong pie chef (ask our queen ;) )

@dp, nothing like a little death and mayhem to liven up one's day :D

22. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

bbb baaaaaaaaaad to the bone;)

23. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Kids,, we are hijacking Dan's thread. The new Talibong mandate tells us that we can only hijack our brother's and sister's threads,, unless it's a Muskybob thread. His Heresy mandates that we spam the heck out of ALL his threads. :D

24. G.T.

Yeah, that's me. My battles recently have been with fire ants. I've got about 6 pounds of poison on the garage at the moment. I put on my black commando suit, sneak up on 'em, and poison entire nests in the late evening hours.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

25. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

DEET to help keep the bastard skeeters away.
    There are also Antimalarial drugs like doxycycline

google it!

26. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Pah, we here in California don't use anything like that coz everything that will bite you will kill you. No point.
    I personally like scorpions. ;)

@GT with you on the case they don't stand a chance :D
    @DP, NOT SPAM, It's still about bugs right?

27. G.T.

Baked or broiled? :D

None. Us old farts aren't as prone to direct frontal assault, but are better at booby-traps, deadfalls, ambushes, and sniping. ;)

28. DanTekGeek

for malaria, the preventative meds taste like crap going down, but they work like a charm. just ask your doc.

29. bigbazza

You are right. It does taste terrible. Been there, done that. Still got malaria again. Last I heard was 9 pills I think it was. You wait till you catch malaria. Take 3 pills straight away, then another 3 after a certain period of time (6 hours?) and another 3 again after another certain period of time. Supposed to knock malaria on it's head. Not too sure of this method, having seen (not literally) a visiting English lady die if celebral malaria ( the nasty one) very soon after arriving in SL, West Africa. I think the OZ army is doing some serious research after getting knocked for 6, in Bouganville and East Timor fields of operations. I will have to do more research nearer to the time.

I remember asking a doc for immunisations against the black plague. Transferred by rat bites in West Africa. "Where the hell are you going", asked the Doctor. I told him and he had to make arrangements to get a serum, 3 drops on the tongue as it turned out. Pretty painless.

Just recently saw a documentary on the building of the Panama canal. Yellow fever and Malaria bought that job to it's knees more than once until they bought effective drainage to where the workers lived, to reduce transference of both diseases to humans. Bazza

=====

30. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Yeah, they're pretty good for a German band ;)

31. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

there is this stuff that I use that sucks the bad crap out
    Ichthammol Ointment
    it smells like tar but it works
    and you don't eat it
    and you may have to special order it from your pharmicist

twice a day
    clean the wound
    put the ointment on the infection
    wrap it

when the infection starts to go away stop wraping and let it "breath"

it may be to far along and you may need a shot
    but always talk to a Dr.

or you could always pee on it alot

(need a spell chck, i know)

32. DanTekGeek

i dunno what you guys are talking about. but im talking about stuff that you take before you go. i think it puts something in your blood that will kill trypanosoma (mylaria). I remember, it comes in a liquid or tablets, both taste horrible. i remember my parents trying to disguise 1 pill about the size of a pencil eraser in a whole bowl o ice cream. i could still taste it. Anyway, ive never had mylaria. Im not even certain that the stuff is prescription. Id ask your doc for some of it. better to not get it in the first place

33. slider

slider Major Wise-***

There are three main antimalarial preventatives

Lariam (mefloquine) - 1 tablet weekly, same day each week starting 1 week before leaving and continuing for 4 weeks after return

Aralen (chloroquine) - taken same way as lariam

Doxycycline -= 1 tablet daily starting 2 days prior to leaving and for 4 weeks after return

There is also a newer one called Malarone - its 2 drugs as I recall, don't know too much about it.

Side effects: They all tend to cause upset stomach. Lariam can cause psychiatric disturbances ( rare), chloroquine and Lariam may cause liver problems ( rare ). Doxycyline is probably the safest, and cheapest, BUT makes you much more sensitive to the sun and sunburn much more easily.

Which one you take depends on where you are going. Chloroquine resistance is high in most parts of Africa, Lariam resistance is starting to show up, Doxy is usually a second choice. For best recommendations go to the CDC website, travelers page. ( www.cdc.gov , I think)

34. DanTekGeek

you a doctor slider?

35. slider

slider Major Wise-***

Pharmacist.

36. bigbazza

Slider, Thanks for the info. Have bookmarked that site. Think I was prescribed the first 2 at different times. One before my first attack, one after my first attack. Neither worked. As you mention, the bloody mozzies are becomimg immune in Africa. As for not catching malaria in the first place, in another post, that's a great idea but not possible in practice. Early evening and early morning are the worst times and it is almost impossible to prevent getting bit if you have to venture outside. Even inside, a lot of houses, huts, businesses, do not have flyscreens, or even electricity for zappers, etc. Bazza

===

37. slider

slider Major Wise-***

Oh - so you grow weed ? :p

38. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

so either way, one can make me a happy geek?

39. bigbazza

Great pun xflat. Went over a few heads, though. Baz

====

40. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Farm-Assist

41. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I've no idea what you lot are on ;)

But my "latest ailment" is several soldering iron burns on my hands after prodding myself with a rather hot gas soldering iron... as well as lots of singed fingernails... owwie!

42. debbie

debbie Private First Class

i had a bite on my toe and was convinced it was freom a brown recluse. you would think that since i work for an exterminator, i would have realized it was just a mosquito bite...lol

i even went around showing my toe to everyone asking if they could identify the offending insect. no one could, although several people did tell me that if it was bothering me that much they could cut it off (the whole toe!) for me!!! lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds