Acer Aspire T310, System Crash, Video Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaphius, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Kaphius

Kaphius Private E-2

I have an Acer Aspire T310, with a 2.67 GHz Celeron chip, 478 socket, 40GB HDD, 1 CDRW, 1 DVDRW, 512 MB RAM, SIS661FX motherboard, 200watt power supply, and the regular attachments. The computer continually crashes at any moment (bootup, shutdown, normal run, etc.). I sometimes won't startup due to the damage it causes to the files of the operating system. Windows XP failure report sometimes indicates a problem with the SIS661FX video system, but I have tried every single driver provided, either by Acer or by SIS, with no avail. Sometimes it won't indicate the cause either (which is most of the time). I alraedy tried changing the RAM, HDD, and programming it with the CD's that came with it, and the problem persists. I took it recently to the local Acer authorize center, and I have been called twice to check it, and when I proceed to do a test, the system crashed. All the technician said that it was three lines in the windows registry, but that wasn't it. The second time I went the system froze, because the technician changed the driver for the video, and the system froze when running a Performance Test from Norton Systemworks Pro 2003, which didn't cause the system to crash or freeze the first time. Both times I have told him to check the hardware (take out the motherboard, check the power supply, check the power fluctuations in the system, etc), but the kid won't pay attention. I have had 20 desktops (brand and clone alike) and 3 laptops since 1989, and worked with Mac, Windows (3.0 and up) and Linux. I even own an Acer Travelmate 3003LCi which is a very nice computer, but the desktop was for my wife. But what good is it if I can't get the computer to run properly. Could someone see if they have heard of any similar problems happening to them??? Thanks.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I've had the same problem, and had to go onto my other computers for a while, as like you I tried everything, and it still kept shutting down. I recently reformatted, put in different ram, changed power supply, changed video card----- IT STILL DOES IT!- I have an inkling that it is the memory controller on the motherboard, but I think that unless someone on the forum comes up with an answer, its scrap the motherboard time - real shame- it was great.
    Trouble is I have what appears to be a dual core 3gb p4, socket 478, and I am still looking for a reasonably priced replacement.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds