Removing AOL

Discussion in 'Software' started by thedon01, Jan 18, 2011.

1. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

I'm trying to get rid of the aol program entirely. i no longer want it clogging up any hard drive space.

Here is what i've done so far:
    1. Add/Remove programs > uninstalled all aol components (so i thought)
    2. Used CCleaner to remove AOL versions.

Here is my problem:

1. I still have the AOL icon on the lower right hand side of my screen. When i right click im given 4 options: Aol Software Updates, Start AOL Dialer, Connectivity, Notification.

I'm assuming this is the AOL Dialer program and i can't remove it using Add/Remove programs or CCleaner.

2. I also want to get ride of any AOL files saved on my computer. I when to:
    Start > Run > Msconfig and i saw that i have AOL Dialer and AOL Software still running when i start my PC. Why are they still running if i removed them? How do i get them off my computer permanently?

3. After going to C:\Program Files i find 3 AOL folders named, America Online 9.0b and America Online 9.0c and AOL. Should i delete these files manually?

4. After going to C:\Program Files\Common Files and i find 2 AOL folders named, AOL & aolback. Should i delete these files manually?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Download Revo Unistaller from this link http://www.revouninstaller.com/ and use this to unistall AOL, then when your finished with it, if you don't want it any more get rid of it !
    Also, yes i can't see no harm in deleting the file you mentioned manually, thats what i did !

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, thedon01.

Agreed with rustyjack's suggestions.

You might also check your Services list (Start > Run, enter services.msc) and disable any AOL-related services before uninstalling.

4. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

thanks guys i'm going to try it now

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

P.S Also forgot to mention type in start mscconfig and check to see that it's not starting as a service on boot, but if you do what Caliban said you should be sorted ! ;)

6. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

start > Run > msconfig > Services > AOL Connectivity Service & AOL Spyware Protetcion are both checked and running.

This is prior to your removal instructions though.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Stop the services in msconfig and then do the uninstall with either Revo or manually.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds