corrupt hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cade, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Cade

Cade Private E-2

My Dad's gone and wrecked his hard drive by shutting down while running Norton Antivirus. After that he kept getting the blue screen of death. There wasn't anything to back up, so I just went straight to fdisk to completely repartition and reformat it, but his 160GB drive was only showing up as 21.5GB. I checked this with the partitioning software from windows XP and Debian Linux and both of those recognised the full drive. I partitioned it into two 80GB partitions with XP and went back to fdisk which told me that there were two 40GB partitions and the total disk size was 21.5GB. I used sys C: from win98 boot disk and MBRtool to replace the master boot record and tried fdisk again but still 21.5GB. I just downloaded Activ@ Killdisk from here and zeroed the entire drive but it still shows up as 21.5GB on fdisk.
    I'm beginning to suspect a head crash or some other mechanical failure but only DOS based stuff has a problem with the drive. Also I don't really want to tell him his drive's dead. He's only had it a few weeks and didn't keep the receipt like I told him to. :rolleyes:

His PC:
    AMD Athlon 2000+
    A Bit VA-20 mainboard
    384MB RAM
    160GB Samsung hard drive
    Windows 98

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds