System failure after installing new power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axxe, Aug 8, 2009.

1. axxe

axxe Private E-2

hey

a few weeks back i ordered a video card along with a new power supply for my pc. Yesterday i received both and today i started replacing my old power supply(Enlight 340 watt) with the new one( Antec Basiq power 500w).

After i was done i started up the computer but i dont hear the beep which confirms booting up my pc and my screen doesnt say anything. about 15-20 seconds after starting up the pc it shuts down automatically. Tried placing different wires and sockets which came with the new power supply but that didnt help at all. I put my old power supply back in and im having the same problem, no boot up sound and the pc shuts down after 15-20 seconds.

my current motherboard is P5KPL-AM from ASUS and im running a shitty nvidia geforce 8500gt which i want to upgrade with a Sapphire Videocard PCI-e Radeon HD4890 OC 1GB 2xDVI/HDCP

Im not that handy with computers and i kinda have a hunch that im doing something wrong with the power supply. This is why im asking for your advice.

2. First off make sure you have deffinetly give the CPU it's additional power if the sockets are there to do so.
    They should be very close to where the CPU is.
    Check the motherboard's power supply is correctly clipped down
    Have you tried booting up without the graphics cards you ordered?

:) Good luck mate.

3. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

If you have a floppy drive check the power lead going to it.
    Most floppy drive power connectors are hard to see well & if you don't have the power plugged in properly the computer will not start.
    It has happened to me so many times if I put a PSU in one & it doesn't start that's the first thing I check.

If you want to test & see if that is the issue disconnect the floppy & try it.

You did remember to plug in the "square" 4 pin CPU power connectror ?

4. axxe

axxe Private E-2

hey guys i decided to send back the new videocard and the 500 watt power supply to the supplier. I actually tried running the pc using my old 340 watt power supply WITHOUT my old nvidia card and i can hear the pc booting up by the beep sound. I can hear it load up vista but after a while (1-2 minutes) it shuts down. the same thing happened with the 500 watt power supply i had.

a question though to captain qwerty by motherboard power connector you mean the 20 or 24(manual says EATXPWR) pin thingie? if so yes i have it properly placed

and to fairbluejoe : unfortunately my pc didnt come with a floppy drive and the 4 pin connector believe youre talking about the atx 12v slot on the motherboard( i looked it up in the manual) yea i have placed the connector properly.

im beginning to think i broke something

however i tried running the pc with my old card after a while and the pc booted up and i could see the starting screen and after about 30 or so seconds it shut off again

5. axxe

axxe Private E-2

ok the next day i tried starting it up again noticing that the time to boot up is really delayed by about 30 seconds, the air flow fan wasnt plugged in so i enabled it but it didnt help my problem. the startup screen detected my harddrive and cd/dvd drives so i guess those work okay.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since the PC was staring up, but then shutting down after a bit, it may be that the CPU cooler was either knocked loose accidentally or the fan was unplugged. Maybe simply removing the CPU cooler, cleaning the old thermal snot from both the cooler and chip, and re-installing the cooler with fresh thermal goop will help; it's a good idea to do this once or twice a year anyway, and while you're at it, clean the CPU cooler and inside the chassis to get all the dust and packed in debris out so it can cool more effectively. Also, you may want to take a look at this post and skip to the part about capacitors.....

7. axxe

axxe Private E-2

hey dlb thanks for the information, atm shops are closed so ill get some 70% alcohol cleaning stuff tomorrow(forgot the name) i checked the capacitors and luckily they are in good shape. Thing is like i said the pc can go on for a few minutes and then shuts down.Though if i restart it right after the initial startup failed it lasts no longer than 4 seconds before shutting down, i think this indicates that my pc has to cool down before it can stay on longer and thus the heatsink/cpu/cooler/chip might be the culprit.

ill let you guys know how it went tomorrow.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup. That's exactly what I was thinking....
    ;)

9. I didnt mean the mobo power I ment the 4 or 8 pin next to the CPU if your board has it.
    Usually on boards that support dual and quad core chips

10. axxe

axxe Private E-2

well i cleaned the heatsink and the cpu, both were pretty dirty, afterwards i placed them both back in with the cpu fan and plugged it in its socket and started the pc, i still get the pc shutting down on me after 2 minutes, this is all so terribly rage inducing i have no idea what else i can do except return my dead pc to the shop i bought it as i still have warranty on it. Thanks for the help guys too bad it didnt work out.

11. You havn't voided the warrenty opening it have you?

12. axxe

axxe Private E-2

the warranty opening was opened last time they fixed it back in februari because the motherboard died, they offered to replace the motherboard for free for free and the shopowner told me i still have warranty left on everything.

13. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

dlb you should have told him that he can't clean the cpu with out adding new thermal paste or else it WILL over heat and shut down ie 2 mins

14. axxe

axxe Private E-2

ehh i thought just cleaning the old crap off of it would do the trick, if youre right i want to try adding some thermal paste before bringing the pc back to the shop as i planned to do tomorrow.

15. axxe

axxe Private E-2

heh well added the thermal paste and the pc doesnt boot up strangely, the pc also shuts itself down regardless of having a new layer of thermal paste. Something broke and ill have to send it back to the shop. Thanks for all the help guys

16. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused Uhhhh..... I did:
    Read a bit more carefully next time! LOL

17. axxe

axxe Private E-2

well the repairguy called me today and guess what. He tells me that everything works fine, and that they tested every bit of hardware and that they all work fine, hell they even ran world of warcraft from my pc.

Of course this is good news but at the same time it sounds very weird. I mean why the hell wouldnt the pc work at my place then? you guys think somethings wrong with the power? i mean for example the power connector i put hte plug in never had any issues before and currently it runs my older pc with no problems at all. Or is it perhaps because you have to wait a long time before the thermal paste starts working?(just a wild noob guess).

I cant collect my pc atm because the shop closes in 15 minutes and tomorrow they're not working. In the meanwhile if you guys can come up with any ideas that would be much appreciated and ill look into it asap!

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First, before you take it home, run warcraft and be sure it works. (Take your keyboard and mouse so you can rule out issues with either of those).

If it works at the shop, then the problem is either your monitor or the outlet at home that the computer is plugged into. If appliances are on that circuit, maybe there is noise on the line and that accounts for your problems.
    You can try moving it elsewhere in your house and putting it on a different circuit to see if the circuit is the problem.

19. axxe

axxe Private E-2

hey im using the same keyboard and mouse on my old pc at the moment and even using the same monitor i used on the pc which is at the shop, i think that means they work fine. But ill try what you said once i have my computer back tomorrow

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds