HELP!!!!!! Driver Installation and Driver Accelerator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hardrive, Jul 25, 2005.

1. hardrive

hardrive Private First Class

Help! I going to try and make this short and sweet before my pc freeze up on me again. Earlier, I got a Microsoft.com error page message which gave me the link to this site to fix the problem:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

I clicked on the "Driver Intallation Hints" link and I understand the part about uninstalling the old driver first before I install the new driver, but how would one know if they have a "Driver Accelerator," which needs to be uninstalled before you install the new Driver? Also, with my pc repeatedly freezing on me, what could that be a sign of? There, I made it without my pc freezing up on me again.

2. hardrive

It's amazing that my pc hasn't frozen up on me yet while I wait here for an answser. :confused:

3. hardrive

Let me share this link with you to another thread which should answer your question about my PC specs and perhaps shed some light on my present situation:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=587264#post587264

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  4. hardrive

5. hardrive

Re: PC Specs

And to make it easier, below are my PC Specs:

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor a
    733 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives
    27.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    17.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CDM-P523 V2.3C [CD-ROM drive]
    LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IBM-DPTA-372730 [Hard drive] (27.37 GB) -- drive 0, s/n JRTJRFN4354, rev P78DA32A, SMART Status: Healthy

System Model
    TYAN S1854 Trinity 400
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: 694X-596B-977
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 04/17/2000

Memory Modules c,d
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'BANK_0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'BANK_1' is Empty
    Slot 'BANK_2' is Empty
    Slot 'BANK_3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 27.37 GB 17.00 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected

6. hardrive

I think it's interesting how my pc isn't freezing up on my like it did before. However, both times that my pc froze up on my before, I had clicked on the "Driver Installation Hints Document" link from this page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

and the "Driver Installation Hints Document" was open. :confused:

7. hardrive

D3m3nt3d, are you still there? :confused:

8. hardrive

Hi, D3m. Concerning the fan, I'm not really sure what happened. My computer has been running since I posted the "fan" thread back in June, so, apparently, my CPU chip isn't damaged...Right? :confused: I never did open the side of the computer and take a look,
    as one of the posters in that thread strongly suggested. And I'm not mechanically inclined as someone else asked. Actually, I feel more inclined to just take my computer to a repair shop and have them take care of the issue, ;) however, I'm going to give it a good try and try and fix it myself. Hopefully, since my computer is still running okay, hopefully, that's a strong indication that I misdiagnosed the problem that I thought I was having. As I mentioned in the "fan" thread, I could have sworn that one day I heard my pc fan kind sputter out. Don't pc fans cycle and stop for a while and then come back on? Well, I thought they did, and if they do, then my fan isn't working. I do though, hear a "refrigerator"-like sound coming from my pc. That isn't the fan is it? I'm willing to get a screwdriver and open up my pc and grovel on the floor(just kidding :D ) if I have to, but not tonight. And hopefully, I provided enough information for someone to assess that my fan really didn't go out.

As far as the situation with my Drivers, for the last several days, I have been having trouble booting up my computer and several times my computer crashed after booting up. After reporting the problem to Microsoft, on one occasion, they couldn't determine what the problem was, but said it had something to do with my Mcfee Anitvirus program opening up as I'm booting up. However, today, as I mentioned previsously in this thread, Microsoft said that it was determined that there was a problem with my driver and said that the nvidia.com link they provided me, had the solution to the problem. Also, it seems like after I clicked on the nvidia.com link and then clicked on the "Driver Installation Hints Document" link and had that page open in an attempt to follow the instructions on how to install the new driver, twice my computer froze up on me while the "Driver Installation Hints Document" page was open. When I rebooted again, and opened up the nvidia.com page, I decided not to open up the "Driver Installation Hints Document" page(which was hours ago), and my computer hasn't frozen up on me. It may have been a coincidence, or having had the "Driver Installation Hints Document" page open may not have had anything to do with my computer freezing up. I'll open the "Driver Installation Hints Document" page and see what happens, and then I proceed with uninstalling the old drivers and then installing the new ones from nvidia.com. By the way, D3m, can I mess up anything on my computer by uninstalling the old drivers and not installing the new ones properly? Or is it a fairly easy procedure and there shouldn't be anything that I should be worried about?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds